cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 mailbox archiving and Exchange deleted items

markr1963-2
Level 3
Partner

I have a client that has Exchange 2007 boxes with infinite retention and when a user's mailbox is enabled for archiving all the items that the user had deleted are brought back into the Inbox then archived as per mailbox policy. The client has asked if it possible to prevent this from the EV end as they don't have sufficient storage to clean up the information store.

TIA

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markr1963-2
Level 3
Partner

The items are no longer in the users' deleted folder but are retained in the Exchange 'dumpster'.

Thanks to Andra, one of the SEs over here, I may now have a solution. Seems there's a reg key that controls archiving of tombstones.

EV has had functionality for some time to restore items from the dumpster and then archive them.  Previously it was not possible to access items directory from the dumpster directly which is why they have to be restored back to the mailbox.  (Registry setting below).

This functionality will continue to work for Exchange 2010 with a slight side affect in that all items recovered will be recovered to and archived from the root of the mailbox (i.e. IPM_SUBTREE).  We don’t support the Purged or Versions  folders (which both occur when the mailbox is on legal hold).

i.e. there is no special handling of dumpster 2.0 but yes items can be archived from it.  Note that when the items are restored they are subject to the normal archiving rules.

RecoverTombstoneItems

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\Software

\KVS

\Enterprise Vault

\Agents

Content

DWORD

0 - (Default) Do not archive tombstone objects

1 - Archive tombstone objects

Description

Controls whether an Exchange Mailbox task archives tombstone objects.

So, reg key is added and set to 0 now to see what happens

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

How are the items getting back into the 'Inbox', that doesn't sound right?

markr1963-2
Level 3
Partner

The items are no longer in the users' deleted folder but are retained in the Exchange 'dumpster'.

Thanks to Andra, one of the SEs over here, I may now have a solution. Seems there's a reg key that controls archiving of tombstones.

EV has had functionality for some time to restore items from the dumpster and then archive them.  Previously it was not possible to access items directory from the dumpster directly which is why they have to be restored back to the mailbox.  (Registry setting below).

This functionality will continue to work for Exchange 2010 with a slight side affect in that all items recovered will be recovered to and archived from the root of the mailbox (i.e. IPM_SUBTREE).  We don’t support the Purged or Versions  folders (which both occur when the mailbox is on legal hold).

i.e. there is no special handling of dumpster 2.0 but yes items can be archived from it.  Note that when the items are restored they are subject to the normal archiving rules.

RecoverTombstoneItems

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\Software

\KVS

\Enterprise Vault

\Agents

Content

DWORD

0 - (Default) Do not archive tombstone objects

1 - Archive tombstone objects

Description

Controls whether an Exchange Mailbox task archives tombstone objects.

So, reg key is added and set to 0 now to see what happens