cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 to EV10 upgrade comments

Nate_D1
Level 6

Anyone have any first hand experience upgrading from EV9 to EV10? How different are the 2 versions, and how easy is the upgrade? Symantec is only offering EV9 training in 2012 so we may have to look at upgrading to EV10. We have a fairly basic environment, a non distributed setup.  I have found some info online but any first hand accounts would be awesome.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

it shouldn't be difficult at all, however the versions are quite different due to the fact it introduces a whole new indexing engine and a whole new way to manage indexes (updates, rebuilds etc).

But really i would first just install the EV10 deployment scanner, make sure that your environment is up to task, for instance the EV minimum specs are out of a lot of companies reach (i.e Windows 2008 R2 x64 with 8GB memory, minimum)

However for a small environment, it shouldnt be much more than a next next finish and then converting the indexes once you're done, however for bigger environments it would take a lot more planning, but that would be the same of upgrading any version of EV, even EV8 to EV9

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

it shouldn't be difficult at all, however the versions are quite different due to the fact it introduces a whole new indexing engine and a whole new way to manage indexes (updates, rebuilds etc).

But really i would first just install the EV10 deployment scanner, make sure that your environment is up to task, for instance the EV minimum specs are out of a lot of companies reach (i.e Windows 2008 R2 x64 with 8GB memory, minimum)

However for a small environment, it shouldnt be much more than a next next finish and then converting the indexes once you're done, however for bigger environments it would take a lot more planning, but that would be the same of upgrading any version of EV, even EV8 to EV9

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Nate_D1
Level 6

Thanks JesusWept2. We have a relatively small environment, our hardware should be sufficient it is 2k8R2, 64bit, its on 6GB now but its virtualized and the host has plenty to allocate.

I will check into the scanner, I have been researching other considerations for this as well (outlook add in version, backup concerns, duration of upgrade, index conversion, etc.) and im building a list :)

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited