cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVDG & Building Block (USL) failover - EV11CHF2

dihrig
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Customer requires some redundancy for Lotus Notes user access.

So we have 2 EV servers deployed:

Evault01  (with Domino Server Arc01) primary server

Evault02 (with Domino Server Arc02) standby server

For a DR test, we performed a USL failover from Evault 01 to Evault02, which completed successfully.

The EVDominoServer table was updated and Arc02 was added as an EVDG. However, when running Domino provisioning task to update the Lotus Notes mail clients to use the new URL for Domino server Arc02, Provisioning crashes. Dtrace shows it was doing a Domino ping against Arc01, failing, and then exception erroring on that failure.

It was my understanding that EV is supposed to detect that Arc01 is offline and remove it from the EVDominoServer table. This never happend after waiting at least 15 minutes. So I deleted the Arc01 entry from that table. Provisioning then ran fine, and Lotus Notes clients were now directed to Arc02, and search/shortcuts worked successfully.

Is there a better way to do this? Is this expected behavior to have provisioning crash if an EVDG is down? Does EV11.0.1 have any EVDG redundancy improvements?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey Dan,

I am not sure if the EVDG is HA aware yet.  This is an older post but not sure if anything has changed:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/high-availability-enterprise-vault-domino-gateway#comment-6107251

Maybe Mr. Paul Honey will respond and let us know.  :)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey Dan,

I am not sure if the EVDG is HA aware yet.  This is an older post but not sure if anything has changed:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/high-availability-enterprise-vault-domino-gateway#comment-6107251

Maybe Mr. Paul Honey will respond and let us know.  :)

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Dan,

I wasn't able to find any documentation regarding EVDG's and building blocks.

But the ping that you are referring to comes from the EVDominoServerView in the EV Directory database.

I would check to make sure that information is correct.

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Dan,

Just a little more information. When the EVDominoHousekeeping task starts up on any EVDG it will populate the EVDominoServer table. When the task is stopped it will depopulate the entry.

So I'm wondering if ARC01 EVDG was shut down or did you just disconnect it from the network?

I don't believe the table will depopulate unless the evdominohousekeeping task is shut down.

Ideally it is not expected for the provisioning task to crash to crash if the EVDG is not available.

Generally you will get an event ID 41155 No Available EVDG's available when there is no EVDG available.

Additionally, there was a recent discussion regarding EVDG HA. Please see the following:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cluster-domino-gateway-doesnt-work-cluster-mscs-ev

Additionally, in reviewing the release notes for EV 11.0.1 there does not appear to be any updates to EVDG and HA.

dihrig
Level 4
Partner Accredited

EV and Domino on EVault01/Arc01 was stopped cleanly and the OS was up and running.

I did some additional testing and see that the Housekeeping task relies on the local EV Directory service to be available in order to depopulate itself from that table. So if I stop Domino first, then stop EV, it depopulates successfully. Not ideal, but at least we now understand it.

Thanks.