cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVENT ID 6183 - Error Creating Memory for Saveset - Any hints??

HolgerM
Level 4
Partner

Hey Folks,

I noticed the following Error on an EV-Server "EVENT ID 6183 - Error Creating Memory for Saveset" there are 36 events of that type in the Eventlog all within 3 Seconds, it was during the archiving time.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Archive Task
Event ID: 6183
Date:  20.01.2009
Time:  23:02:13
User:  N/A
Computer: APP-EVAULT01
Description:
Error creating memory for saveset
Catastrophic failure  [0x8000ffff]

I could not find any corresponding posts in the Forum or in the Knowledge base, can anyone give any hints on the issue? I did not have any user Response yet.

EV Version is 7.0 SP3

Thanks in advance

Holger

Message Edited by HolgerM on 01-21-2009 02:29 AM
7 REPLIES 7

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I know that this is not a very elegant suggestion but have you rebooted the ev server? If on the next archiving run you still get problems then monitoring would need to be implemented on memory resources and MSMQ to try and determine exactly what the issue is.

HolgerM
Level 4
Partner

Paul,

thanks for your input on that issue, I only had the event 2 times in the event log and was curious because i have never seen that before. As far as I remember there was an issue on the MSMSQs not being processed when they exceed 1GB Harddiskspace....and if i also remember correctly there was a registry key you could set to allow more, I'll check into that.

We have about 8K EV Users and the MSMSQs can fill up quickly.

So far the error didn't occur any more

regards

Holger

JohnBrea
Level 2
Hi Holger,

"As far as I remember there was an issue on the MSMQs not being processed when they exceed 1GB Harddiskspace....and if i also remember correctly there was a registry key you could set to allow more, I'll check into that."

You may be thinking of the old Windows 2000 limitation where MSMQ could only manage around 1.7GB of messages. This does not apply after Windows 2000. For troubleshooting MSMQ-specific resourcing issues you can start here

Cheers

John Breakwell (MSFT)

Message Edited by John Breakwell (Microsoft) on 02-24-2009 03:26 AM

HolgerM
Level 4
Partner

Hi John,

could be, it was just something I remembered from earlier problems with the message queue.

Thanks for the Link, I'll check into that.

Holger

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

I don't think this is anything to do with MSMQ.  I think it's just a memory allocation type issue.  Perhaps the process was low on memory at the time or perhaps the drive where TEMP is pointed too was low on disk space?  That possible?

HolgerM
Level 4
Partner

Hi there,

the EV-Server is usually OK with memory, >90GB free space on the drive the TEMP folder is located, as well as enough RAM for all tasks we have 4GB of RAM as well as enough virtual memory (swap/pagefile)

The error didn't occur any more so I guess it was just a hiccup.

JohnBrea
Level 2

@The Dodo wrote:

Hi,

I don't think this is anything to do with MSMQ. 

Hi,

I was just clarifying the minor misunderstanding about MSMQ.

Cheers

John Breakwell (MSFT)