cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

EVFSA folder Policy creation for Celerra

chetan_k32
Level 4
Partner Accredited

As we are working on the policy making of EV FSA ,, ,we are facing some issues and require assistance. 

Problem: After creation of folder policy and running the FSA task in report mode, it scans the entire volume and report file get generate over 1gb,after opening the file we get below output.

Archive Point Creation Failed

-----------------------------

No archive points creation failure on this volume

Retention Folders Summary

--------------------------

No folders created.

Total volumes processed:     1

Total folders processed: 862883

Total number of files matching an archive rule:               0

Total number of files matching an archive and copy rule:      0

Total number of files matching a do not archive rule:    4987029

Total number of files matching a delete rule:                 0

Total files that matched a rule and were processed successfully: 3159259 (2298965.16 MB)

Total files archived:                                                 0 (0.00 MB)

Total files excluded by a do not archive rule:                   3159259 (2298965.16 MB)

Shortcut Creation

Total number of files matching a 'Create Shortcuts Immediately' rule:       0

Total number of files matching a 'Create Shortcuts Later' rule:             0

Total number of files matching a 'None. Archive and Delete File' rule:      0

Total errors reported: 0

Processing of all volumes is complete.

Start time: 02-01-2012 16:04:45

End time:   02-01-2012 21:10:12

Elapsed Time: 05:05:27

Customer requires to archive only single folder within a volume but it scans the entire volume instead of particular folder.

8 REPLIES 8

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

If you do not want the whole volume scanned, then go in to the propoerties of the volume target and uncheck 'archive this volume'. Providing the properties on the folder target are still set to archive, it should just process that folder.

Also looks like you do not have any archive points which are needed. Try creating them with archivepoints.exe in advance of the arcive run to ensure they are created successfully.

Darren

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Don't use archivepoints.exe as this can make duplicate archive points which creates duplicate entries in the archives for some versions of EV. I suggest you use the FSAUtility instead.

Refer to this technote for what's required on Celerra's - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO49621

Maverik
Level 6

If no data has ever been archived under this target then it is fine to use Archivepoints.exe to create the archivepoint for the first time, you can also check this to see and see if an archive has even been created for this target.  FSAutility should be used if an Archivepoint did exist and you need to recreate it.  Here is states it has not been created and sounds as if it never has so I agree with Darren.

chetan_k32
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All , As my previous logs we have run the archiving task again with the volume disabled for archiving.

i have created a folder policy which is set to archive auto enabled for files and subfolders.

as the volume has so many folders arround 1200 folders and customer requires to archive a single folder we have set the archiving disabled on volume.

when we ran the archiving it scans the entire volume and created archive points for every folder,but nothing gets archived.

please find the attached archive report for the refernce

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Chetan,

I would recommend you to create two folders:

1. For Root (which you want to exclude from scanning and archiving)

2. For Folder which you wan to archive.

When you create a folder for root, while following process, uncheck ( Archive this Folder and Archive Subfolders) and Select "Do not create an archive point. The Folder '\' and its subfolders will use the same archive as the parent folder. If this is a root folder it will not be archived".

When you create a folder which you want to archive, Check (Archive this Folder and Archive Subfolders) and Select " Create an archive point on Folder 'Foldername'. This folder and its subfolders will all use the same archive"

you can do the above test on small volumes, for better understanding.Once you understand then follow this in your production.

Maverik
Level 6

Hi, 

It looks more to me that the items have been archived, however you have set "After Backup" for conversion to placeholder.  Has the Vault Store partition been backed up and had the archive bit reset or are you using a trigger file? Have you set "After Backup" on the Vault Store partition?

chetan_k32
Level 4
Partner Accredited

hi manish, i have created two folders as suggested

1. For Root (which you want to exclude from scanning and archiving)

2. For Folder which you wan to archive.

and its archive the folder which i have set to be archive,but i am not able to see the archives in the archive explorer.

as it creates the shortcuts also for the files which gets archive,after opening the shortcuts it's not recalling the files.

however i require to remove all the archive points which gets created for all the folders in the volume and wanted only the spcific folder to be archive point exist.

kindly suggest me in this as i dont want to lose any files in the production folder files which are archived till now.

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Chetan,

If items from the required folder is archived i.e. as long as you can see the placeholders, it means the items are archived, so you must check for the permission on the archives for the user.

If you are able to open the archived item(placeholder or shotcut) and the files are not recalled then perhaps you have configured "Pass-Through recall"

I would recommend you to restore everything from unwanted folder i.e. been archived and use VAC to remove the archive point and also use NTFSstreaminfo utility. If you have any hesitation then my advice would be to log a case with support.