cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVLA (Enterprise Vault License Analyzer) Question: How does it count?

modemis
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello all.

I have a question about EVLA tool that was provided by Veritas to give us the current "Active Users" but wanted to know the detailed query it runs for the results.

We have 1500 users where we currently have users that left the company but still get counted toward licenses even though we have disabled the archiving of these users.

Also, the "Journaling" part of this tool gives us 1000 users but we have 1500 users.  How does it count the Journaling part?  

I would appreciate an answer or the actual query that this tool runs so that it makes sense to us.

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I used this tool once, but ran into the same issue. I composed a query to calculate the amount of MAILBOX archiving licenses I needed. If you run the first 4 lines, it gives you ALL enabled mailboxes. I added some additional statements, to exclude mailboxes which are basically non-personal. These are (at the environment I was at the time) starting with fm. I also added a statement to exclude archives for users that left the organization. (the ZZ disabled and ZZ old ones).

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory
SELECT DISTINCT NrUsers=COUNT(MbxNTUser)
FROM ExchangeMailboxEntry
WHERE MbxArchivingState = 1
and mbxdisplayname not like 'fm.%' -- Functional Mailbox
and MbxDisplayName not like 'rs.%' -- Resource Mailbox
and legacymbxdn not like '%/cn=fm.%' -- Functional Mailbox
and legacymbxdn not like '%/cn=rs.%' -- Resource Mailbox
and mbxdisplayname not like '%ZZ disabled%' -- Disabled users
and mbxdisplayname not like '%ZZ Old%' -- obsolete archives

As for the amount of mailboxes you need a Journal License for, that in general depends on your Exchnage Journal setup. Do you Journal all, or just a subset. If all, then a mailbox count of your environment gives you the amount you need. (give or take a few, but you'll cover the needed ones)

Regards,

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

modemis
Level 3

Thank you GertjanA.  But, as you know, the EVLA tool counts ALL users weather it be enabled or disabled in Enterprise Vault that currently has a mailbox in Exchange.  So the query you sent, even though it is awesome, cannot be used to give me a correct "Active Users" count. We have an Auditing company that uses this tool and wanted to inform them that this tool is NOT reliable for auditing purpose.

Can you help with how this tool performs the counts??

Thanks again.

arnoldmathias
Level 4

@modemis I had posted a reply on a similar query a few weeks ago. This requires some effort in Excel, Powershell and SQL but it works wonders in our environment.

modemis
Level 3

Thanks Arnold.