cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVPM - Manage Retention without Recreating Folder?

vanadasd
Level 4
Partner

Hello EV Gurus!

I have another quick EVPM question:

Some users in our environment have created their own folders in Outlook and have archived email there.  We have already identified those folders using EV search and some SQL queries.

I am planning to use EVPM to manage those folders and change their retention policy.

My biggest concern is that although I see them in the EV search and know they exist, these folders can be very old and there is a pretty good chance that the user may have already deleted that folder from outlook.

When I've used EVPM in the past, I've always used it to create new folders and I wanted those folders to appear in the user's mailbox so that they could put emails in it for archival and retention management.  This time around, I would prefer to use EVPM to change the retention policy on the folder WITHOUT recreating the folder in the user's outlook mailbox.

Is there something that I can add to the .ini file that will change the retention of the folder without recreating it in the user's mailbox?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

If you run EVPM it will re-create the folder.

If you want to update the retention, just specify the new retention category but keep the folder name the same. You can check by ctrl+shift clicking on an EV icon and getting Vault Information and looking at the Retention Category ID.

[Folder]
Name = \@Same Archive Folder Name
RetentionCategory = NewRetentionName
Overridearchivelocks = true

Is the goal to retroactively change the retention for archived items? This can be done in SQL but is generally not supported by Veritas, unless you want to change the Retention Category period for all items. What version of EV?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

If you run EVPM it will re-create the folder.

If you want to update the retention, just specify the new retention category but keep the folder name the same. You can check by ctrl+shift clicking on an EV icon and getting Vault Information and looking at the Retention Category ID.

[Folder]
Name = \@Same Archive Folder Name
RetentionCategory = NewRetentionName
Overridearchivelocks = true

Is the goal to retroactively change the retention for archived items? This can be done in SQL but is generally not supported by Veritas, unless you want to change the Retention Category period for all items. What version of EV?

vanadasd
Level 4
Partner

Bummer, so EVPM will always recreate the folder. Good to know.

The configuration that you specified is great, but I'm looking to avoid recreating the folder in the user's mailbox if possible.

You are correct, my goal is just to change the retention of the items in these folders. If you have SQL query or an alternative method that will accomplish this for a specific folder or item, that would work wonders for me!

I am running EV11.

Thank you!

Patti12212
Level 2

It's not supported to do this via SQL. At least one partner (Globanet) has a tool (Classify) to update retention based on folder location or other criteria.