cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVPM PST migration and shortcuts

yxm
Level 4

Hello,

I'm going through migration to EV 11 from another email archiving product and I want to find a way to import PSTs to EV with EVPM and create shortcuts, but not for mesages that are older that 1 year. I se the option in PST migration policy, but EVPM seems to ignore it and pushes all the shortcuts to mailbox.

Is there an EVPM .ini option to accomplish this?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Using Scripted PST Migration you only have 3 options.  It does not respect the PST Migration policy assigned via Provisioning.  Only Server driven or Client driven use the PST Migration policy.  

ShortcutMode

Optional. Defines the PST migration mode, which determines how Policy Manager treats the contents of the PST at the end of the migration.

Possible values:

[PST] section

• PSTShortcuts (default). Create shortcuts to the migrated items and leave the shortcuts in the PST files.

• MailboxShortcuts. Create shortcuts to the migrated items and put the shortcuts into the designated Exchange mailbox. Also copies to the mailbox any items that were excluded from archiving.

• NoShortcuts. Do not create any shortcuts to migrated items. Any items that were excluded from archiving remain in the PST files. 

If all your PSTs are in one location you could easily use Server driven to do the migration.  Might be a bit easier then using Scripted (EVPM)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

Using Scripted PST Migration you only have 3 options.  It does not respect the PST Migration policy assigned via Provisioning.  Only Server driven or Client driven use the PST Migration policy.  

ShortcutMode

Optional. Defines the PST migration mode, which determines how Policy Manager treats the contents of the PST at the end of the migration.

Possible values:

[PST] section

• PSTShortcuts (default). Create shortcuts to the migrated items and leave the shortcuts in the PST files.

• MailboxShortcuts. Create shortcuts to the migrated items and put the shortcuts into the designated Exchange mailbox. Also copies to the mailbox any items that were excluded from archiving.

• NoShortcuts. Do not create any shortcuts to migrated items. Any items that were excluded from archiving remain in the PST files. 

If all your PSTs are in one location you could easily use Server driven to do the migration.  Might be a bit easier then using Scripted (EVPM)

yxm
Level 4

Thanks for the reply Tony. I'm still new to EV. PTS can be in one location and I process user mailboxes in groups. I heard that EVPM is faster to import PSTs. Do I have wrong information?

Also, the PSTs are not "marked" as they come from another system.

TonySterling

Personally, I don't think Scripted would be much faster the Server driven.  It would be easier to manage and will use your PST Migration policy settings.  

Basically, you would use Locate to scan where you have your PST's, map them to the appropriate archive, then let the process take over.

No scripts to manage, create, or run.

yxm
Level 4

Thanks again, Tony. I will definitelly will try server side migration. I have another question to this migration. With multiple EV servers in the site, can I have one server running migration task or each server should have its own task?

TonySterling

Each EV server will run a Collect and Migrate task.  You only need one Locator task, however.

See the following:

Creating and configuring the PST Locator, PST Collector, and PST Migrator tasks

yxm
Level 4

Thanks. I have setup tasks and ran thtough the process. It works as I expect it to work.