cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVPM and Retention Policy

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I created two folders via EVPM with one having a 20 day retention policy and the other infinite. My mailbox has an archiving quota when it reach 10% free out of the 250MB Exchange provides.

How would archiving and rentention policy work for my inbox?If a user has puts all his email in a folder for infinite retention period, would the shortcuts in this folder count towards his exchange mailbox? I assume yes. WHat will happen when the user has close or more than 250MB in his infinite folder??? How will this effect EV? How will this effect exchange?

Also, is there anyway to archive Sent Mail, Folders etc BEFORE archiving the Inbox?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You can't really order how and in what lesser EV archives folders, I've not really heard of it being a request before, typically archiving the largest items first is good enough for most people As for the shortcuts, you can set up Shottcut expiry that will delete the shortcut only hazed on its age So for instance you may have items in your infinite retention folder but you can tell EV to delete and shortcuts older than one year for instance If that isn't set then the shortcut will remain until either the user deletes it or exchange mailbox manager or managed folders deletes the folder
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
You can't really order how and in what lesser EV archives folders, I've not really heard of it being a request before, typically archiving the largest items first is good enough for most people As for the shortcuts, you can set up Shottcut expiry that will delete the shortcut only hazed on its age So for instance you may have items in your infinite retention folder but you can tell EV to delete and shortcuts older than one year for instance If that isn't set then the shortcut will remain until either the user deletes it or exchange mailbox manager or managed folders deletes the folder

anon1m0us1
Level 6

1) Our users like seeing their email in their Mailbox so this is why we would prefer to Archive every other folder first, before touching the mailbox.

If we have an infinite retention policy on the folder, we can delete the shortcuts based on the age? Will the data still be in Archive?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Yes because shortcut expiry does literally what it says, expires shortcuts but will not do anything to the actual items within the archive, that will be handled either by storage expiry or by users deleting the items manually As for your issue with items In the inbox, you could set it to archive much later than other folders or to not archive at all So for instance you could tell the regular mailbox policy to archive anything 60 days or older but specify that inbox will archive anything 90 days or older, but this may result in users not being able to archive enough to go under their quota levels due to the fact the bulk of the email maybe in the inbox

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Ok, so it seems that my mailbox will archive anything when it reaches 10% quota.

My folders will have a retention period, but I should set the shortcuts to be deleted after 6 months.

Users can use Archive Explorer or the Web to access any archived items where the shortcuts were deleted.

Does all this sound correct?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Pretty much, EV is going to go and scan the mailbox for all eligible items and order it by biggest and oldest, idea being that it you archive 10x 2mb emails, you free more space than if you archived 100x 4k emails etc , ie archive as much as you can in the time that you have As for shortcut expiry, yes you can tell them to use Browser Search or Archive Explorer to find and open their items or you can use virtual vault