cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVPM does not apply custom retention policies under certain in Outlook

skw234dmsp
Level 3
I created a initialization file that would apply different retention categories based on company policy for certain folders in Outlook.
I run the script and it does not apply the retention category to the folders I selected. The script will create the folders listed below
but will not apply the retention categories as expected. Here is a copy of the script...need assistance and input ASAP.  The folders in outlook are
named 540, 180, and Business Documents and also the DeletedItems folder. 

Thnx

;Script
;Scope - Custom Retention Categories for the Deleted Items, Business Documents, 180, and 540 Folders in Outlook for all DMSP

[Directory]
DirectoryComputerName = S6245A04
Sitename = S6245A04

;Custom retention categories assigned to the 180, 540, DeletedItems, and Business Documents Folder

[Mailbox]
DistinguishedName =/o=dmsp-mail/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=swilliams

[Folder]
Name=\180
RetentionCategory = 180
OverrideArchiveLocks = true

[Folder]
Name =\540
RetentionCategory = 540

[Folder]
Name =\Business Documents
RetentionCategory = Business Documents HOLD

[Folder]
Name=DeletedItems
RetentionCategory = 7
OverideArchiveLocks = true

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
So it sounds like one of a couple things:

1. You are using DA and the items are on Legal Hold

or

2. The original retention category has the Prevent Items from being Deleted checkbox checked and the new one does not.

If 1, you will have to release the hold.
if 2, either remove the checkbox on the first retention or enable it on the new one.

Regards,
Tony

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

TonySterling
What version of EV are you using?

Are the Retention Categories hidden?

Could you dtrace EVPM whilst running the process?

TonySterling
Ok, I just saw your post and you say "I have simply checked the deleted items folder as well as the rest by placing archives in those folders that are well beyond the retention period. There are no changes in any of the folders."

Do you mean to say you are moving shortcuts to archived items into the folders to see if they are removed by storage expiry? 

If you are using EV 8 the Retention Category will be updated if the policy allows it.  Look on the Mailbox policy Moved Items tab.

TonySterling
Also, you can check the EV properites of the folders in Outlook if your policy allows it to see what Retention category is assigned. 

Or even manually archive something and then look at the retention applied to it in the EV Search page. 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
How are you seeing that the retention category ISN'T being assigned correctly?
Working for cloudficient.com

skw234dmsp
Level 3
@TonySterling - I will check the tabs tonight and verify all the information that you are asking shortly
@RobWilcox - the only way I checked is by looking at the folders after the retention category was applied and there was no change.  I am expecting immediate change and do not see the change.   I am using EV 8.01 - any suggestions would be helpful... I'll try!!!

TonySterling
Since you are using EV 8 you need to make sure that you allow the Retention Category to updated on the Moved Items tab of the mailbox policy.

You can also look in the x:\Program Files\Reports\ folder.  I think there is a folder called Mailbox Archiving that will have a Moved Items report file that will let you know if it is updating items.

Cheers,

skw234dmsp
Level 3
@Tony Sterling
I do have the retention enabled for MovedItems in the mailbox policy.
I ran the DTrace tool after using EVPM to push the script and it came back  with error -

1.) 0x0041b78 - Reason - Item's retention category cannot be updated.  The original Retention Category is on hold but new retention category is not [0x0041b78].

Dtrace showed the following also...

Mailbox:  /o.....<DN>
Folder: \540
Title: <title>
Archive folder updated: True
Retention Category updated: False

I will pipe the output from the Dtrace to a text file and copy on my next post

TonySterling
So it sounds like one of a couple things:

1. You are using DA and the items are on Legal Hold

or

2. The original retention category has the Prevent Items from being Deleted checkbox checked and the new one does not.

If 1, you will have to release the hold.
if 2, either remove the checkbox on the first retention or enable it on the new one.

Regards,
Tony

skw234dmsp
Level 3

>I checked the default retention category under Site properties and there is no hold or retain forever settings checked.  
>What is DA and Legal Hold?   

skw234dmsp
Level 3
There was a hold.
Removed and running the script again to see if results are different

skw234dmsp
Level 3
The problem still exist
-Getting the following error also from the DTrace - event ID:2777 the mailbox <DN> does not have write access to the following vault <same DN>
-Folder: \180
-title: <mail title>
-archive folder updated: False
-Retention category updated: False
-Reason: The Saveset is not in the currently-selected archive.  [0xc0041ba4]

skw234dmsp
Level 3
Retention Policies cannot be changed on a whim by using a filter or an ini file. 
In this case, I have a legal hold initially, but changed the legal hold and wanted to apply the script above. 
This simply cannot be done unless a new archive is created and without a legal hold.

jason_lucy
Level 5
I have experienced somewhat similar issues with retention policies - mostly related to business units making changes to requested policies.  You may find it easier to create a new retention policy, have the individual restore the item, and then manually store in vault using the selected retention policy.