EVS from Outlook add-in reporting "your search request failed" for all users

Since late November 2018, we have now had four unexplained outages for EVS, where all users receive "your search request failed" when visiting Enterprise Vault Search via Outlook. We have clients on both 12.0.1 and 12.2.2, and the issue is experienced on both versions. In the past, I was not able to identify the root cause (even after working with support on two different occasions now, surprise), and the past three times, was able to restart EnterpriseVaultAPI, EnterpriseVaultAPI32, and EVOnlineWebSearch application pools in IIS, then restart Net.Tcp Port Sharing service (and dependencies), and roughly 7-10 minutes later, all would be well again.

Recently, I have noticed an uptick again in DCOM errors, and had to re-add expected privileges to StorageOnlineOpns as well as DirectoryService, as the EVA no longer had launch or activation permissions. Today, we have incurred three hours (and counting) of end user service downtime for no reason, and there are no errors in any of our logs. Even stranger, I had found on the first instance of this issue that searches directly on Archives in VAC would work, and "Launch in a new window" would also work as these were OUTSIDE of Outlook and the quirky version of IE (or whatever is being used) to render the EVS page via the add-in.

Anyone else have this experience, and would like to share workarounds or additional troubleshooting thoughts? Have yet another open case with Veritas on this, but this issue is quickly becoming the nail in the coffin for our use of this archiving product...and blaming Microsoft for patching every time we open up an incident is becoming frustrating...

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: EVS from Outlook add-in reporting "your search request failed" for all users

For additional details here, we are running on Windows Server 2012 R2, and the version of Enterprise Vault is 12.2.2.

Highlighted

Re: EVS from Outlook add-in reporting "your search request failed" for all users

If it works outside Outlook but not when EVS is embedded, it's worth checking if this patchset might be a problem https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000128053

I've also seen this happening in 12.3 where the article claims it is fixed (it's critical to update the Add-In as well), but only after the second start of Outlook (on the first start, the Add-In seem to understand if it is running into the issue, then it puts a workaround in Registry but Outlook has to be restarted for the fix to work).

Highlighted

Re: EVS from Outlook add-in reporting "your search request failed" for all users

Thanks so much for the response and insight! We have had this registry setting for quite some time now (would argue that we were one of the first customers to report the issue with the Microsoft patches late 2017). Again, what's weird is that EVS will work for days without issue, then all of a sudden boom - won't allow remote users when using Outlook 2016, and will just resolve itself after some time without errors or warnings. Almost feels like some sort of WCF/remote connection threshold that is now being reached for some *new* reason...