cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVSVR capability

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

Is EVSVR able to recreate missing archives?

The scenario is that I'm rebuild an EV environment in a lab but don't have consistent EV vault store and SQL DB backups. My Vault store backups are newer than then DN backups and so the vault storage contains archived items not within the SQL databases. Typically I think EVSVR would be able to handle this, but some of the archived items exist within archives that were created AFTER the last DB backup was taken and therefore the actual archive itself doesn't exist within the DBs.

Are there any options within EVSVR that would allow it to verify that data within the vault store is associated with an archive that does exist within the DB and create the archive before allowing for the missing items to be recreated within the vault store database.

kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is not within the ability of EVSVR to repair. The Repair DatabaseReferences operation will recognize that the .DVS file is missing a record, but it will not be able to recreate the record if the ArchiveID from the .DVS file does not exist in the Directory database. For these items, the only thing of value you'd get from the operation would be a list of all the savesets that have this problem, so you would at least know how many items and archive records you are missing and what their dates are.

--Chris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

yes 

databasereference

and

databaselinkages

are the two tasks you want to do with EVSVR

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is not within the ability of EVSVR to repair. The Repair DatabaseReferences operation will recognize that the .DVS file is missing a record, but it will not be able to recreate the record if the ArchiveID from the .DVS file does not exist in the Directory database. For these items, the only thing of value you'd get from the operation would be a list of all the savesets that have this problem, so you would at least know how many items and archive records you are missing and what their dates are.

--Chris

CadenL

Hi Chris

Many thanks for clarifying this.

Just as a quick follow up question - is there a way that the Directory database can be manually edited to add the ArchiveID so EVSVR can associate the .DVS file with the ArchiveID and create the record for the missing DVS files?

kind regards

First, doing something like that is way outside the scope of support, and would require a consulting engagement for Veritas to be involved. Having said that, if someone told me "I have to recover as much as I can about these messages, supportability be damned!" then that's probably the first approach I would try. I don't have any concrete steps or any guarantee that it would work, but it seems plausible that the system could be made to accept something like that. Talk to Consulting Services about it.

--Chris

CadenL

Thanks Chris

This is only a lab system so I may well give it a go....

Perhaps a useful future development for EVSVR if it could recreate archives that it detects .DVS files but doesn't have an associated ArchiveID in the Directory DB :o)

thanks again for the input