cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVault 11.0 Virtual Vault never show content

yxm
Level 4

I;m in the beginning of migration to EVault 11.0 and Virtual Vault configured with "Never show content" for Show Content in Reading Pane in Desktop policy. What I found that on two different PCs I get different results for the same user in Outlook 2010. On one PC I get short message with yellow warning that this is not original message, but on two other PCs I tested it, full message preview is happening. Can anyone tell me what can it be? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

would really need to see the log with Virtual Vault logging enabled, to see what its doing.

What version of Enterprise Vault are you running for the client?
Do all the users share the same desktop policy?
Was it configured to Never Show Content before the users were Virtual Vault enabled?
Or were they virtual vault enabled and then configured?

In Outlook if you go to File -> Enterprise Vault -> Additional Support Information
you should see an option in the Virtual Vault detals called "VV_ReadingPaneContent"
0 = Never, 1 = In Cache, 2 = Always Show

In the client logs you'd see it here:

13/02/2015 13:02:24.986[2960][H]:     USESELFINSTALLFUNCT = 0
13/02/2015 13:02:24.987[2960][H]:     VVENABLED = 1
13/02/2015 13:02:24.987[2960][H]:     VVREADINGPANECONTENT = 1

Some more information on this, there used to be three options for the preview pane:

Never Show Content:
It would never attempt to go to the DB file to retrieve the message to show in the Preview Pane, would only get the item from the DB when you double clicked it. This is also the normal behavior if you do Virtual Vault only and no vault cache, because there is no DB/Cache files to retrieve the item, and when you double click an item it gets it from the server instead

When In Vault Cache:
So if the item exists in the DB files you downloaded in your vault cache, it will get the item and preview it, if it does not exist in the vault cache then you would get the yellow banner. So reasons it might not be in the vault cache is cos you may have a 5GB archive but you limited vault cache to be 1GB in size, so it will only have your newest items

Always Show Content:
Virtual Vault would attempt to get the item from the DB/Cache files first, and if the item existed, it would display it in the preview pane, if it could not find the item in the DB files, then it would download the item from the Server and display it in the preview pane, if you saw a yellow banner after that then it means there was a failure retrieving the item

For instance maybe the item was deleted through user delete or expiry, but you don't have a good cache sync so the item remains in Virtual Vault but not on the server etc.

Always Show content was removed as an option because you could effectively DDOS your EV server, so if you select an item in a folder, and it downloads the item, and you start pressing the down key to scroll through your messages, well, you could inadvertantly trigger 100 recall attempts against the item, and none of them get cancelled

You get a large user base doing that, and it brings EV to a crawl.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

It may be that the setting from the policy has not been synchronized through to Virtual Vault.This is a multi stage process that relies on the hidden message in the mailbox that contains the settings being up to date when Outlook is started, in addition the hidden message settings are only synchronized through to VV when a Vault Cache sync is performed.

If the VV settings do not seem to be being honored, try restarting Outlook and synchronizing Vault Cache.

JesusWept3
Level 6

would really need to see the log with Virtual Vault logging enabled, to see what its doing.

What version of Enterprise Vault are you running for the client?
Do all the users share the same desktop policy?
Was it configured to Never Show Content before the users were Virtual Vault enabled?
Or were they virtual vault enabled and then configured?

In Outlook if you go to File -> Enterprise Vault -> Additional Support Information
you should see an option in the Virtual Vault detals called "VV_ReadingPaneContent"
0 = Never, 1 = In Cache, 2 = Always Show

In the client logs you'd see it here:

13/02/2015 13:02:24.986[2960][H]:     USESELFINSTALLFUNCT = 0
13/02/2015 13:02:24.987[2960][H]:     VVENABLED = 1
13/02/2015 13:02:24.987[2960][H]:     VVREADINGPANECONTENT = 1

Some more information on this, there used to be three options for the preview pane:

Never Show Content:
It would never attempt to go to the DB file to retrieve the message to show in the Preview Pane, would only get the item from the DB when you double clicked it. This is also the normal behavior if you do Virtual Vault only and no vault cache, because there is no DB/Cache files to retrieve the item, and when you double click an item it gets it from the server instead

When In Vault Cache:
So if the item exists in the DB files you downloaded in your vault cache, it will get the item and preview it, if it does not exist in the vault cache then you would get the yellow banner. So reasons it might not be in the vault cache is cos you may have a 5GB archive but you limited vault cache to be 1GB in size, so it will only have your newest items

Always Show Content:
Virtual Vault would attempt to get the item from the DB/Cache files first, and if the item existed, it would display it in the preview pane, if it could not find the item in the DB files, then it would download the item from the Server and display it in the preview pane, if you saw a yellow banner after that then it means there was a failure retrieving the item

For instance maybe the item was deleted through user delete or expiry, but you don't have a good cache sync so the item remains in Virtual Vault but not on the server etc.

Always Show content was removed as an option because you could effectively DDOS your EV server, so if you select an item in a folder, and it downloads the item, and you start pressing the down key to scroll through your messages, well, you could inadvertantly trigger 100 recall attempts against the item, and none of them get cancelled

You get a large user base doing that, and it brings EV to a crawl.

JesusWept3
Level 6

Pretty sure the hidden message is only synched through the archiving tasks Synchronization, either manual or scheduled. I don't think a Vault Cache Sync in outlook will update the hidden message, will it?

yxm
Level 4

Thanks for the reply Richard. I have one PC I had it for weeks and had synched cache manually numerous times. It's just not honoring the setting. We have virtual cached configured "Offline storage required:No" if it matters.

Can it be some kind of add-ins conflict? We do have a few third party add-ins.

yxm
Level 4

I'm running client version 11.0.0 CHF2. I have only one default desktop policy for now.

It was configured Never Show content before user was enabled.

In Outlook, File -> Enterprise Vault, I don't see Additional Support Information. All I see EV Help and "Configure Vault Cache" options.

We want to have Never Show Content option (and that's how it's configured now) , but my issue is I don't get yellow banner, it retreives full item on some PCs.

I am new to EV and just started learning about it. Sorry for the stupid question. Where do I find client log file?

yxm
Level 4

Found the client log:

13/02/2015 16:32:30.807[9948][H]:     USESELFINSTALLFUNCT = 1

13/02/2015 16:32:30.810[9948][H]:     VVENABLED = 1
13/02/2015 16:32:30.811[9948][H]:     VVREADINGPANECONTENT = 0