cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVault is archiving message, but not their attachments?

nameless_girl
Level 3
I have a user with a HUGE exchange mailbox. Upon investigation, it looks like messages with large attachments are being archived successfully, but the attachments themselves are not? Instead of the text snip at the bottom of the message like this:
<<
image001.gif (4.5KB)

(4.5KB)
>>

the attachments are still fully visible in the header of the message when viewing the preview pane. How can I force EV to archive these huge attachments?

My "maximum message size to archive" is 250MB -- these messages are well below that limit (more like 20-40MB each).

thanks,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay rather than doing it here then .. it might be best to work with Support directly, then you're covered in terms of confidentiality and it's also "not public" like the forums.

Anything more that I can help with though, please let me know (but for this issue, it seems the next steps are to take out some sample messages, and see what happens)

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
what version of Enterprise Vault?
what version of Exchange?
any errors in the Enterprise Vault logs?
does this happen when manually or automatically archiving items?
Does the issue occur if you manually archive the item?
Do you have the client log of when it occurs?
Do you have any dtraces or StorageArchive or anything when it occurs?
What storage medium are you using?
If its erroring on a manual archive, what version of the EV Client are you using? HTTP or DCOM? version of outlook?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Are the items fully archived, or pending items (check the message class) ?

nameless_girl
Level 3
Yes, the item itself is fully archived.  But the attachment is not archived at all. Message class is IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
well you need to expand on your environment and the issue at hand
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Sometimes this can happen because EV got an error when trying to remove the attachment from the message.  That what it feels like to me.
When this occurs i presume some attachments get removed ok but one or more remain?

The question is to determine if this is random or whether there is something in the formatting of the message which makes EV fail to remove it.  So the first thing would be to restore some of the items and then watch for it being turned into a shortcut and see if the attachments get removed or not.

Mike

James_Drake
Level 4
Partner

We have the same problem, in all cases the bodies are empty.

EV 8.0 SP4

We are leaving behind fully body shortcuts.

James

James_Drake
Level 4
Partner

I just restored one of the messages, edited the body to enter some text and rearchived (with the ignoreevdates key set). The attachment is not removed and the body is stripped - it is not viewable in the preview panel or full email retrieval.

James

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Here are the results of my testing ...

I set my policy to "use message body" for archived items.

I then sent an email with a text file attachment (not embedded, just a regular attachment).  I manually archived that item from within Outlook, my "shortcut" looks like this :

Now when I double click on that item, it is retrieved correctly, like this :

I think to better understand what you are describing, it would be beneficial to walk through screenshots like I did.

Hope that helps,

James_Drake
Level 4
Partner

My non retrieved shortcuts look like the second screenshot (i.e. the attachment is not archived). The body area is blank, when the original email had text in the body.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm...  are these signed or encrypted messages?  Can you reproduce this on *any* message?  Is it only messages with attachments?  Have you modified the Archive Action part of your policy?

What else have you got specified on the Shortcut Content part of the policy?

Can you generate a "sample" message (before archiving), pop it in a PST, and attach it here?

James_Drake
Level 4
Partner

There are hundreds of thousands of messages archived correctly, with and without attachments. There is one simple policy that affects all mailboxes.

The affected messages (the ones I checked at least) are not signed, encrypted or password protected. I have seen PDF files, XLS and plain text.

The shortcut policy is

'message body'

'include recipient info'

when opened show contents

all other options are greyed out when you select message body type..

If I simply created another message with an attachment, it will probably archive as expected.

As I need to take a 'live' email I cannot do this without the customers approval. They are aware of this thread, and will likely pick up on it next week.

James

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay rather than doing it here then .. it might be best to work with Support directly, then you're covered in terms of confidentiality and it's also "not public" like the forums.

Anything more that I can help with though, please let me know (but for this issue, it seems the next steps are to take out some sample messages, and see what happens)