cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ediscovery export much larger than EV archive and journal

Gentry_38
Level 3

Hi,

I'm puzzled by how much larger the exported pst size from DA in comparison with the exported archive from EV. I exported an archive including journal mails from EV which total to about 20.2GB and this contains emails from 2010 the time EV was put in place. Another request (same user) was to export all pst from 01/2011 to 9/2014 and this  came out to a whopping 42.4GB. To be certain, I checked the emails to ensure that I'm only pulling emails coming and sent to this user and they were. Any ideas as to why pst is much larger in DA? Any feedback is appreciated.

FYI, when searching from DA I used 2 parameters: Date Range and To or From email address in my case: first.lastname@company.com.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

did each export have the same exact number of emails in it? assuming the answer is no then what you might be seeing from DA is multiple copies of the same email from the journal for emails with multiple recipients and if you have multiple journal mailboxes this is compounded and also duplicates if your DA search went across mailbox and journal archives.

View solution in original post

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

That, and roughly speaking items in PSTs will be twice the size of the original item (because of plain text and HTML renditions of the body)

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB

did each export have the same exact number of emails in it? assuming the answer is no then what you might be seeing from DA is multiple copies of the same email from the journal for emails with multiple recipients and if you have multiple journal mailboxes this is compounded and also duplicates if your DA search went across mailbox and journal archives.

Gentry_38
Level 3

Thanks AndrewB. Your explanation make sense.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

That, and roughly speaking items in PSTs will be twice the size of the original item (because of plain text and HTML renditions of the body)

Working for cloudficient.com

Gentry_38
Level 3

Thanks for the feedback guys!

AndrewB

would you mind marking this post as solved so other people who come across the same issue can use it to help them?