cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit archived items in Outlook - Possible bug?

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I may have found a possible bug in the Enterprise Vault Outlook add-in. 

When I open a shortcut and it displays the original Item. I click on "Action" and "Edit Messsage" - Add some lines to the email, click on save and try to close the email I get a popup with the following information:

This item is archived and cannot be edited. To save your changes you must make a copy of the item. Click 'Yes' if you with to save a copy in the inbox folder, or click 'No' to select a different folder. 

(same happens when I do not save the edit message and instead try to close it)

When clicking 'Yes' - It saves the edited email in this folder - Thats correct

When clicking 'No' - A new popup appears where I have to select a folder - When I decide not to store the edited email and click 'cancel' it stores the edited item in the folder where I opened the shortcut - Thats incorrect and should not be the case. 

Verified this with Outlook 2007 and Outlook Add-In 11.0.1 CHF4 as well as with Outlook 2013. 

Attached two screenshots of the popus I get. 

Can someone else verfiy this?

Didn't find any other information. Is this a known problem or may it be a problem with Outlook? 

Marc  

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marcde

Hello all, 

Pradeep kindly provided us the following technote for that:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000108365

The bug will probably be fixed in a future release. Subscribe to the technote to get updates. 

www.serviceware.de

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marcde

Can anyone say something about this or was able to verify it? 

www.serviceware.de

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Marc,

Not able to test, but did you report this via a case to Veritas? It might indeed be a bug, which needs to be fixed, or it might be Works As Designed, or it might be an undocumented feature.

Regards.

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Marcde09,

Just verified the same with outlook 2010 client, I do see similar behavior. While click on ‘Cancel’, the changes in email get saves with new email in same folder. Ideally it should discard the changes and do nothing (same as clicking on ‘no’ option in first prompt).

I will double check it with outlook 2013, Do you have any support case open for this behavior?

Marcde

Hello GertjanA and Pradeep, 

thank you for your response. 

There is no open case for this currently due the low priority of this "problem".

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

Marcde

Hello all, 

Pradeep kindly provided us the following technote for that:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000108365

The bug will probably be fixed in a future release. Subscribe to the technote to get updates. 

www.serviceware.de

Simple question:

Am I right that EV has no possibilities to edit archived items? Because for item retrieval in outlook you have always the oulook standard feature under actions > edit message, within evs calender view you can retrieve appointments an edit, with no changes.

Only within Virtual Vault you get the clear message that an duplicate will be created on edit item.