cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elasticsearch - Upgrade Question

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hello all,
I'm about to upgrade a EV 14.1.2 to 14.4. And I have some question about the new Index engine Elasticsearch:
We have 3 EV Servers with all roles (4 node cluster).

• Can I have 3 Index server (Elasticsearch)?
    • If true the distribuition of indexes are automatic?
  • What is the size that I need for indexes?
    • 9% of 83 TB (Total Mailbox information archive) that aproximate 8Tb
    • 9% of 20 TB (Total size of archive) that aproximate 2TB
  • Need an extra disk of 16/4 TB for snapshot?

Of course I’ll request a larger disk. 

I upgraded our lab environment, and I had no problem, but I have 5 user 100mb archive

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jack_liu
Level 2
Employee
  • Can I have 3 Index server (Elasticsearch)?  -> Yes
    • 9% of 83 TB (Total Mailbox information archive) that aproximate 8Tb  -> Take the size of the original data
  • Need an extra disk of 16/4 TB for snapshot? -> Depends on how many snapshots you are going to keep. Refer to https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100055104 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Tonaco,

I have no experience with EV14/ElasticSearch, but...

You can run indexing on an 'all-in-one', or on a specific indexing server. If you want to use the 3 servers, that can be done. Indexes are 'balanced', if correct making sure as first that the index is on the server where the archive is. I have seen a document describing the way indexes are balanced, but am unable to locate it at the moment. Perhaps your SE can provide it.

As for Index size, this should be in one of the guides. If I am correct there is a performance guide, which describes somewhere what the indexsize will be and how to calculate, but it should be for the whole archived data (=83TB)

About snapshot, I do not know.

Regards. Gertjan

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi  Gertjan,

Thank you for your help.

I have 3 EV index servers (14.1, velocity), I want to upgrade to 14.4 I don't know if it will work similarly balancing the archives indexes.

I'll plan the upgrade assuming that need three 4TB Location for indexes, and three 8TB disk for snapshot. We have 12000 archive that why I have 3 indexes servers.

jack_liu
Level 2
Employee
  • Can I have 3 Index server (Elasticsearch)?  -> Yes
    • 9% of 83 TB (Total Mailbox information archive) that aproximate 8Tb  -> Take the size of the original data
  • Need an extra disk of 16/4 TB for snapshot? -> Depends on how many snapshots you are going to keep. Refer to https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100055104