cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Archiving DR & EV Storage Service shutdown

Adnan_M_F
Level 4

Hello,

Our storage on which the archvied files were being stored crashed and we had to recover the entire enterprise vault storage. We've restored the archived files from backup and placed them in exactly the same drives, folders etc.

My main issue as of now is that the "Enterprise Vault Storage Service" stops as soon as its started. After searching for relevant IDs in event viewer, I found myself to this article which shows steps to move vault store. But my issue is not same, as I've placed my stores in exactly the same location, hence VaultStoreEntryID = PartitionRootPath.

I've no idea absolutely about SQL but have noticed below in my "VaultStoreEntry" & "PartitionEntry" Tables:

1) The VaultStoreEntry table give me 3 resutls which reflects the 3 vault stores in EV server.

2) The PartitionEntry table gives me 23 results which reflects the 23 partition in the 3 stores. Most of the partitions have their status in EV console as "Closed". With only one partition being Open. For one of the stores I've one partition "Open" and one "Ready". 

3) Some shares in the EV server under "Windows Share & Storage MAnagement" tool, have several share names (in format "EVPartition01ceae6d4889b0$") for the same local path. And the "RemotePartitionRootPath" entry in "PartitionEntry" table only reflects one. Could this be an issue?

Some common Enterprise Vault event ids I'm getting are 41142, 6882, 29014 & 7206

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Adnan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adnan_M_F
Level 4

The problem resolved after much inspection of the event logs. Though initially I was focussing only on the error events however later noticed a warning event which was repeatedly stating that it could not find a folder in some path for an exchange store partition.

Other thing which I noticed was that, if I shut down all EV services and started only the EV Admin and EV Storage services the EV storage service would continue to run. It was only after the starting of EV Index service that the EV storage service would go down.

How I resolved it?

I created the exchange store partition folder, in the path which the warninig event repeatedly was showing. Shut down all EV Services started them all and it just started to work. It created a .xml file in the location I created and thats pretty much it.

P.S.: I relied on the event ids to try a lot of things and then simply worked from there. My suggestion as for any application/server troubleshooting is to find out first when the errors/warninings started to occur, check their occurrence (triggered due to some event, triggererd due to failure of other service, triggered due to problem in other server in application environment, etc) and then start researching on the errors/warnings. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

EVSupportVet
Level 3
Employee

Hello, 

What is the error when the storage service fails to start?  

The RemotePartitionRootPath is EV's hidden share so that is normal.  As long as the paths to the vault store partition have not changed, then you should not need to change anything in SQL. However, you can easily confirm the paths are correct by looking at the PartitionEntry table.  

Adnan_M_F
Level 4

The problem resolved after much inspection of the event logs. Though initially I was focussing only on the error events however later noticed a warning event which was repeatedly stating that it could not find a folder in some path for an exchange store partition.

Other thing which I noticed was that, if I shut down all EV services and started only the EV Admin and EV Storage services the EV storage service would continue to run. It was only after the starting of EV Index service that the EV storage service would go down.

How I resolved it?

I created the exchange store partition folder, in the path which the warninig event repeatedly was showing. Shut down all EV Services started them all and it just started to work. It created a .xml file in the location I created and thats pretty much it.

P.S.: I relied on the event ids to try a lot of things and then simply worked from there. My suggestion as for any application/server troubleshooting is to find out first when the errors/warninings started to occur, check their occurrence (triggered due to some event, triggererd due to failure of other service, triggered due to problem in other server in application environment, etc) and then start researching on the errors/warnings.