cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails are not deleted from mailbox , Even though the EV policy is set to archive

skrish
Level 3

Team.

We are using windows 2012 server with Enterprise Vault 11.

EV Policies are configured to archive emails which are more than 1 year old including deleted items folder.

I have a user , whose archived mailbox size is 18 GB and Exchange mailbox size is 24 GB. 

Deleted items folder on mailbox contain 14 GB of data which user need it. I could see more than 1 year old data as well.

as per the poicy, user deleted items are supposed to archive and delete the contains from mailbox.

I checked with user , user mailbox has deleted items , but not availble on EV.

can some one please help me .

Regards

Srinivasa K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You do not want to do anything with the Pending Shortcut Timeout.  That will set items back to normal emails, not create shortcuts.

To get the shortcuts created you need to back up the vault store in a manner that removes the archive bit or use the trigger file or partition secured notification.  In the Admin guide or VAC help read the section on backups.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check your policy:

In the

Exchange Mailbox Policy -> Advanced Settings -> Exchange Archiving General Settings

there is a setting called  "Archive deleted items".

skrish
Level 3

The option is set to ON. 

Our policy is set to delete the email from source mailbox, once its archived from user mailbox.

one more thing which i noticed newly is .

I am able to view same emails on both the locations. i,e emails on user deleted items folder as well on Enterprise Vault.

how to make sure the emails are deleted from deleted items folder and user is able to search on vault outlook.

Please help.

Regards

Srinivasa K

SheldonDsouza
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

Just a thought... is this user part of multiple Provisioning Groups which have different Archiving Policies. (Trying to rule out every possibility)

Regards,
Sheldon Dsouza

skrish
Level 3

Hello.

sorry for delayed response.   Yes , validated. this user is not part of multiple provision groups.

Any other possibile options to check.

Archiving tasks runs perfectly and based on the EV Task reports , I could see that the user emails are archived to EV Server , however the emails are not deleted from user mailbox ( Including all sub folders)

Regards

Srinivasa K

TonySterling

It sounds like the partitions haven't been secured so the Safety Copy is still present.  On the Vault Store Usage.asp page how many emails are waiting backup?

skrish
Level 3

Hi Tony

Please find additional details , Let me know your thought on this.

Under the store partition properties - Under safety copies 

Remove original items option is enabled and the behaviour is set to No. remove Immediately after archiving.

Last Item secured date is showing as 19th Dec 2014.

Last scan started date is showing as 26th Aug 2015.

Unsecured Items found in last scan is 691977

Vault store usage details"

Total Items: 2097650 

Total archive store 300,992.60  MB

Awaiting for backup on the Vault store usage is :  1468538 

Regards

Srinivasa K

TonySterling

So there you go, seems like you need to back up your partitions so the Safety Copy will be removed from the Exchange server.

skrish
Level 3

I believe there is no other backup utility is required to backup the partitions right?

I could see few mailboxes are archived properly and the emails have been removed from user mailbox once its archived to Enterprise Vault.

For this affected user, I could see emails in both locations. User mailbox as well on Enterprise Vault server.

Can you please suggest for next steps to resolve this issue.

Other point forgot to mention: Earlier a month back we had an issue for all users and the mail items was showing as pending for archival. below action was carried out to resolve the issue.

after below change, The Pending archival items were converted as normal mail items and emails were removed from EV.

• Changed Vault Store safety copy configuration to NO , remove Immediately after archiving
  • Enabled synchronization on Mailbox Archiving Task
  • Restarted EV storage Services
  • Changed pending shortcut time out value to 0 on Mailbox Policy
  • Run the Archive tasks in reporting mode
  • Enabled synchronization on Mailbox Archiving Task

Regards

Srinivasa K

TonySterling

So are the items Pending or are they the message class of ipm.note?   

skrish
Level 3

Hi Tony.

Under Vault Store partition properties  -  Backup tab-  Use the archive bit option is enabled.

regards

Srinivasa K

skrish
Level 3

the items pending are normal email messages. is this is the one you asked?

skrish
Level 3

Hello Tony,

below are few other information , Please help us to resolve the issue/

Under the EV Admin console , Event Id: 41008 is generated.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH76168.html

as a initial level of trobleshooting, we are checking below options. Please let me know if anything needs to be added or validated to resolve this issue.

As a first step , Below settings wil be reviewed as per the article.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH69486.html

Step2:

as a next step , DB team wil review the below settings and let us know , as we are seeing the same issue for our environment.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH68494.html

Step3:

As per below articles , reset archive bit manually to reduce awaiting backup count.

we are yet to wait and see the updates from Step1 and Step2 , before we procced other steps

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-clear-awaiting-backup-item-count

Regards

Srinivasa K

skrish
Level 3

we came to know that , Vault is being backuped by using networker application and we have latest incremental backup 15 days ago and the full backup was in the month of March 2015.suspecting this could be issue?

from DB prespective, current value for  "IgnoreBackup" column value is '0'  

can some one please help me to resolve the issue.

skrish
Level 3

can some one please help me .

we are planning to revert our old change which we did earlier.

pending shortcut time out value to “off” on mailbox policy.

Regards

Srinivasa K

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

1.  What happens if you manually archive the item, or several items from the mailbox?

2.  With the safety copy set to "No, remove immediately after archive" backup should not be a consideration.

3.  If manual archiving does work, ZAP the mailbox using EVPM, resync and try again.

4.  If manual archiving does not work, review the logs and possiblty run dtrace to determine where it is failin.

skrish
Level 3

The issue is, emails are getting archived to EV Server , but its not been removed from user mailboxes.

awaiting backup count is getting increased as well.  we reverted the change , pending shortcut time out value from 0 to Off.

not sure what other options needs to be checked.

Regards

Srinivasa K

TonySterling

You do not want to do anything with the Pending Shortcut Timeout.  That will set items back to normal emails, not create shortcuts.

To get the shortcuts created you need to back up the vault store in a manner that removes the archive bit or use the trigger file or partition secured notification.  In the Admin guide or VAC help read the section on backups.

skrish
Level 3

Thanks Tony. we used triggerfile method to secure our partitions and the issue is resolved

Below article was followed.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH35610.html