cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails get maked as unread after archiving

Veera_Door
Level 4

We just started to enable mailboxes for archiving and found that some users get a strange experience where random emails get marked as unread. Any idea what causes these specific emails to get marked, and most not?

EV8.0 sp3 (client and server)
5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
This is most likely seen if Outlook has Cached Exchange Mode turned on. If it does, this issue is caused when a message that was unread, is marked as read, while offline. The message is marked as read, but only on the local OST and it has not replicated with Exchange yet, to synchronize the settings.

Therefore, when Enterprise Vault makes its pass during an archived run, it archives the original message from Exchange, which is still "unread" and archives it using that attribute. As a result, you will see an unread archived message within your local mailbox

Refer the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/317734

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I agree with Rahul.  If you're seeing this under certain conditions, then the technote hits the mark (and I worked on the associated Etrack).  If you're seeing it outside of the following sort of condition, then it's worth investigating further ..

Conditions you'll see this under :-

Highlight 100 unread items
Right click,  mark them as read
Click the Store in Vault button in Outlook

*Some* of the items won't stay read, they'll flip back to unread.
Working for cloudficient.com

Veera_Door
Level 4

I need to confirm with the user, but I'm pretty sure that the emails in question had been read some days earlier, and although the user is using Exchange cached mode the computer is always on and connected to the network.

Therefore I can't see this is an issue with the OST not sync'ing in a timely fashion, unless for some reason its not updating with Exchange correctly.

Something else of note in reference to the support document, the emails weren't archived manually but were done as an automated process during the Archiving Task (after I'd enabled the users mailbox for archiving).

Veera_Door
Level 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I've definitely not seen that issue before then, I'm afraid.
Working for cloudficient.com