cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty Files on Recall (FSA/Netapp/SetNetappPHOriginalSize)

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi forum,

did anyone of you already observe that when the following conditions are met, every recall returns a totally blank file:

• Archiving from netapp
  • (Having SetNetappPHOriginalSize set to 0 (see http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO27965)) Behavior occurs regardless of this setting.
  • Trying open a Placeholder on the EV server

If you do this a completly empty file is returned and also no recall is performed (Offline attribute is still set, no passthrough configured).

These placehodlers can be opened without problems from any other client in the network. In this case the recall is performed correctly (no offline attribute, full size, content is returned).

Any ideas/explanation for this behaviour?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am pretty sure this is expected behavior.  You can't open placeholders for NetApp on the EV server.  I am trying track down the technote.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

I am pretty sure this is expected behavior.  You can't open placeholders for NetApp on the EV server.  I am trying track down the technote.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Same thoughts as Tony. Because EV uses the proxy placeholder service that runs on the EV server (as this is a NetApp) it doesn't fulfill the response. You can only open placeholders held on a NetApp from a Workstation or similar, basically anything but the EV server.

I am sure there is something in the docs somewhere, just looking....

TonySterling

For the life of me I can't find that feakin' technote and the KB is acting very wonky right now!

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

TonySterling

Yeah, I know it is in a technote somewhere.  At least it was. wink

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi guys,

thanks for the fast replies! I've tried to search for a KB entry first, also could not find any article describing this behaviour.