cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Mailboxes not finding exchange mailboxes that exist

MWard
Level 3
I'm running EV 6.0 Sp4.  I am having an issue where I have some user accounts with exchange mailboxes that are not returned when trying to 'enable mailbox' in the vault admin.

I have turned on dtrace for the Archiving Task and did a manual resync with the exchange server and checked that the mailbox was not somehow stuck in the disabled mailboxes list.  The vault doesn't have the missing mailboxes anywhere.  and the tracelog.log did not return any info for the missing users.

Has anyone seen this before?
16 REPLIES 16

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Check to see in ADUC if the mailbox is set to be 'hide from adresbook'. If it is hidden, unhide, enable, hide

If not, check if the mailbox is visible on the Exchangeserver (with server manager) . If not, send an email to it.

Recheck mailbox is visible.

regards,

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
When you run a dtarce make sure you sync all users.

The GC is contacted and all users should be listed.

MWard
Level 3
Thank you both for the feedback.

To answer GertjanA

-None of the missing mailboxes are hidden from the GAL.
-The users mailbox is visible from within the Exchange System Manager
-Sending an email did not change the status

Ran a DTrace and the user account was again not found.  I let it run for about 30 minutes and the file was well over 1GB so I can't let it run all day.  I used UltraEdit to search and the user does not exist in the log.

Does it need to run longer or am I just screwed?

Atul_R
Level 4
Try Zapping that mailbox and after that see if it appears in the list to be enabled. Here's a Symantec tech note explaining this process - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273154.htm

MWard
Level 3
Atra,

I will try zapping.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Mike

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Mike

Anything new here?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MWard
Level 3
Sorry so long to post back my results, but I've been swamped with other work..

Zapping seems to have done the trick.  One thing to note was that I had to stop the archiving and journaling tasks before I ran EVPM in order for it to go through in a reasonable period of time.

I appreciate the help everyone.

MichelZ
Level 6
Better late than never :)

Thanks for posting your findings!

Master
Level 2

I just joined this forum as I'm currently -amongst other things- administering EV.

As it seems, I have an issue with a mailbox that was previously enabled for EV then disabled -as the contractor left. Now as the contractor came back we re-enabled his MS Exchange mailbox, but enable archiving as the mailbox is not visible in the EV console

Consequently I figured out that I needed to clear the mailbox vault enabled properties.

Reading the document that you guys refer about (ID: 273154 ), I do not understand exactly the syntax of the following:

[Mailbox]
DistinguishedName = /o=organization/ou=mailboxou/cn=Recipients/cn=mailboxname

The DN looks usually like this:

CN=Joe Doe,OU=City,OU=Users,DC=Prod,DC=compamy,DC=com

Thus, I cannot place it in the above requested format.

Any ideas?

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

DN in EV refers to the "LegacyExchangeDN" field in AD.
You can either look in AD or in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory Database, Table ExchangeMailboxEntry

Cheers
Michel

MWard
Level 3
The easiest way to get the DN is to use ADSI edit , connect to the Domain Naming Context,  choose the properties of the user object and copy the entire 'legacyExchangeDN' value into the .ini file

Master
Level 2
Thank you all. I already figured out the DN.
I successfuly ran the command but still cannot see the mailbox. I triggered a new syncronization on that server (update details on all mailboxes), thus I will wait to see what happens after it completes.

MichelZ
Level 6
Is the Mailbox hidden in AD?

Master
Level 2
Negative.
First thing that I checked was to see if the mailbox was hidden.

KevH
Level 2
use osql against the enterprisevaultdirectory db,

select mbxarchivingstate from exchangemailboxentry where mbxntuser = 'Problem User Sam AccountName'

It should be a 0 since he is not active, but it will probably come back with something higher like 3.

ADawson
Level 3
In Exchange System Manager, drill down to the Private Info Store > Mailboxes in the left pane. Then click on View > Add-Remove Columns, and add the Full Mailbox Directory Name. Click OK. Scroll all the way over to the right in the list of mailboxes, and each one will display the DN of each mailbox.