Enabling Single Instance Storage and Growth

Veritas_Resolve
Level 4

Hey Experts,

No. of EV Servers: 28 EV 11.0 CH5

Vault Stores: 28

Archive data size: 800 TB till date.

3 SQL 2012 cluster

I'm enabling OSIS on my EV Servers however, I am worried about the growth of the Finger Print Database on the SQL server. Is there a way I can figure out how large the database can grow in one year on SQL side? Also, how can I plan my capacity on the SQL server, please? I understand the formula is Capacity per year (MB) = (((pm/2)+(f/1.2))*0.5)+((m+f)*v*0.05) /1024 or similar, where m
Total messages archived per year in all vault stores in the sharing group
p Percentage of messages with attachments eligible for sharing (assume 0.2 if unknown)
f Total files archived per year in all vault stores in the sharing group
v Vault store storage device type, where:
Local/CIFS/SMB/Centera = 0
Streamer = 1

We archive around 70 TB per year approx.

How can I find out the % of attachments eligible for sharing?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

The default value Veritas advises is 0.2.

Stick the formula in an xcel sheet, then play with that value. That should give an indication. FYI, I use it and the FP database is not that large. If you enable OSIS (i.e. sharing), you will see on FP database, with 31 (or 32 not sure anymore) additional 'sub databases'. That distributes the load.

also be advised that enabling OSIS will only be newly archived items, not for the existing ones!

Greetz, GJ

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

The default value Veritas advises is 0.2.

Stick the formula in an xcel sheet, then play with that value. That should give an indication. FYI, I use it and the FP database is not that large. If you enable OSIS (i.e. sharing), you will see on FP database, with 31 (or 32 not sure anymore) additional 'sub databases'. That distributes the load.

also be advised that enabling OSIS will only be newly archived items, not for the existing ones!

Greetz, GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you GertjanA. You've always come around to help me. :)