cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Vault Cache and VIrtual Vault and successfully synchronising.

EV_Novice
Level 5

Dear Experts,

I have a read theough a number of existing posts,

I've tried following the 'Troubleshooting Vault Cache Synchronisation for vesions 10 and 11, but I'm still getting something wrong.

I've added registry settings including "PSTDIsableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides", in a bid to get the synchronisatoin to run and complete, but no joy.

Synchronisation bombs out after a few seconds with 'No Vaults Available. Contact your Helpdesk' and 'Connected to the Enterprise Vault Server'.

This has yet to work for me, though a few other user clients appear to have succeeded.

Please see attached log and advise me where I've gone wrong ?

thanks in advance,

a numpty.

37 REPLIES 37

EV_Novice
Level 5

Chris,

(or anyone else, willing to suggest a solution).

I found this post, that reveals that settings of 0, 1 and 2 are permitted for DisablePST.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/disabling-pst-files-outlook-2007

Despite that, I still have no vault cache population to speak of.

Appreciate any constructive suggestions offered.

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you remove DisablePST completely? My concern is that since it is higher up in the registry, this is overriding PSTDisableGrow and 'AuthenticodeOverrides' (As these are not referenced in the client trace).

Also, did you check the EV Desktop policy setting and try setting "Synchronize archive types" to Default mailbox?

Chris

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Chris,

Happy New Year.

EV desktop policy appying to me is already set to 'Default Mailbox'.

I've deleted the DisablePST registry entry, but I don't anticipate instant results !

Will let you know what I find on Monday :)

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Chris, I tried removing PSTDisableGrow from registry, but I guess Group Policy processes most kindly put it back, over the weekend. This morning I tried setting PSTDisableGrow to 0 (Zero), half expecting that value to get over-written. Well, I tried synchronising again - it failed. I deleted the MDC file again and restarted Outlook, then attemepted again to synchronise..... so far after two and a half hours, the synchronisation process is still running.on my desktop. I'm going to leave it alone for the rest of today and I hope to report that tomorrow I'll find that synchronisation has succeeded. I just hope that the registry setting doesn't get overwritten again. If we have a successfull completion, overnight,, I'll repeat the pain on my laptop and see how long that takes to work its magic.... 

Thanks for your support and patiience,

Bren

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Chris,

I've spent most of today trying to get Vault Cache working on my laptop, using the config on the working desktop to give me some clues.

A little backgrouond: the desktop is in the same domain as the EV server. My laptop however is in a different AD domain - the domain where all of our users sign in to gain access to services. This domain has very tight group policies in place and as a result, the registry settings I've changed to match those in my working desktop get overwritten regualrly. Once I can prove to the folk who "own" AD, whcih cleint machine registry settings need to be changed to allow Virtual Vault and Vault cche to work, I can ask that those settings are changed. Meanwhile, using the settings from my desktop as examples in my laptop, I can invoke synchronisation, but it fails after about 30 seconds or which about five thsousand will. I should have in the region of  122000 items to download of which about 5000 will get posted into the cache.

Is there a master list of client side regstry settings that i can check and correct, because that is where I am now - trying to get my laptop to work similarly to the desktop !

If possible could the document "Troubleshooting Vault Cache Synchonisation" be updated to list all of the registry settings that really matter,their correct settings and the purpose of each one  ? I feel I'm close to solving the last issues, but not really close enough!!!

EV_Novice
Level 5

Please see attachments: failing laptop results on left, working desktop results on right.

Is there a definitive list of registry settings that correctly set, will get me closer to success ?

Chris_Warren
Level 5

For most of the client registry keys, you can review them in the following articles:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO97258
Location of Vault Cache and Virtual Vault registry values

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO97259
Location of other Outlook Add-In registry values

Some may not exist if they are set to default values, but the important thing is to note the location where they would be.  If you are comparing the client registry keys between the two systems, you would be looking in these areas in addition to where DisablePSTGrow for Outlook is set.

If you have gottent o a point where items are being posted in the Vault Cache, it sounds like you've gotten past the ListArchives piece.  Unfortunately though, in order to determine the failure now, a new Client Trace would be needed.

I hope this helps.

Chris

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi Chris,

log to have a look through, below.

Chris_Warren
Level 5

Based on the latest log:

a. It looks like it only has the downloadtasks.xml so far, but no MDC or DB files.

b. It shows there was LastGoodSyncTime.

c. It seems that it began to proceed past the ListArchives stage, but still no slot request.

Concerns:

- The OVReset registry key is set to 1.

Did you add this manually?  I'd recommend removing this key or setting it to 0.

- The log looks like it only ran for 2 minutes.

Commonly, there is a default setting of 3 minutes where VC pauses after Outlook opens before it begins processing.

As a simple test, I suggest you keep Outlook open for @ 30 minutes to let it do it's thing. While this is happening you can browse to the following path to monitor if the MDC file (or MDC temp file) is being built and updates as well as if any DBs are being built/updated:

C:\Users\testuser\AppData\Local\KVS\Enterprise Vault\8A8B9B387DC72046B187D30E97A45F2D\

After awhile, you can check the Client log for the other aspx/request calls to the EV server:

Examples:

SyncPoint.aspx - Checks status of currently active sync job

Slot.aspx - Requests for a "Slot" on the EV server

GetSyncSlotResponse - Response to "Slot" Request

TreeViewXML.asp - Request to EV for Folder Structure of archive for building the MDC.

Finally there is the ClientDiagnostics.aspx call to the EV server that happens periodically which gives a status update on the synchronization progress.

I hope this helps.

EV_Novice
Level 5

Hi CHris, thanks for your response. I'll certainly follow that through. I don't know why I didn't think oif this before, but here goes...: Are there are reasons why I cannot (or should not!) copy the MDC from my desktop to the laptop? Same mailfile, same archive content !?

OVReset ? I don't recall changing that one, but I'll try setting it as you recommend. What does OVReset do ?

Thanks again.

EV_Novice
Level 5

I hada look for OVRESET in Registry and didn't find it. However I found several references to OVRESET in the VC log file and they all appear as shown below:

08/01/2015 08:48:57.164[2108][L]: DesktopCommonConfig::GetClientStoreKey: 0x0
08/01/2015 08:48:57.164[2108][L]: ~DesktopCommonConfig::GetClientStoreKey: 0x0
08/01/2015 08:48:57.164[2108][M]:  OVReset = 0 [default]
08/01/2015 08:48:57.165[2108][L]: ~DesktopCommonConfig::GetRegKeyValue: 0x0
08/01/2015 08:48:57.165[2108][L]: DesktopCommonConfig::GetSetting: 0x0
08/01/2015 08:48:57.165[2108][M]:     Desktop Setting: MailboxState

perhaps I can leave it alone ?

I did look for the MDC file yesterday and as you indicate, there is no sign of an MDC file being created.

As referred to above, what are your thought on 'cheating', and copying the MDC file from my desktop to my laptop? Maybe I should bring the DB files over too, to my laptop ?

EV_Novice
Level 5

I've tried to force a synchronisation from time to time during today and eventually was rewarded with a response that resembled 'progress', though of course it might not be. Please see attached , which at last has references to mdc file :) although an mdc file does not yet appear to have been created.

EV_Novice
Level 5

I wonder if I have reason for optimisim? checkiing in the appdata... folder as suggested by Chris, I find today, as shown in the screenshots, that thought there is yet to appear a .mdc file, I have a .db file ! Not ony that, the 'current cache size' is shown as 93.2Kb and 'documents in cache at last is showing a value of '2'. Doesn't seem much , but its progress, at last. Perhaps I was being impatient !.

Chris_Warren
Level 5

Unfortunately, initial full sync's can take some time to complete. However I feel there is something else going on here as you should have an MDC (MetaData Cache) if you have DBs (Content Cache). You can have an MDC without DBs, but you shouldn't normally have DBs without an MDC.

Just for sanity purposes, have you confirmed that you have AV exclusions set properly on this workstation?

Since you've been hammering at this for some time, you may want to look into opening a case with support for a more indepth review on this.

Chris

EV_Novice
Level 5

You may have a point. Synchronisation panel this morning wasn't an improvement on the result from yesterday. The AV stuff should be the same on both lap and desktop machines, I'll look again at that, though.

A support call would appear to be the inevitable next step. Your patience has been phonomenal !

EV_Novice
Level 5

Call logged yesterday .... awaiting a response.

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Can you make sure you Outlook is set to be your default mail app.

Then close out of Outlook and in your IE internet settings reset and also Restore advanced settings.

Make sure your not behind a proxy connection under the IE internet settings under the Connections> Lan Settings. Change it to automatically detect

Next steps is to reset the vault cache in the EV tab by holding the ctrl+shift and click a EV button at the same time.

Restart outlook.

You might also have to update the group policy on that client machine: Gpudapte /force in a cmd prompt

then reboot the pc

EV_Novice
Level 5

Ladies and Gents, thanks for all of your kind and patient guidance.

Thanks to the call logged with support....

In the end, the fix had less to do with registry settings than one would have imagined.

To recap: EV addin Version is 10.0.3.1169 on Windows 7 O/S running on a laptop in a different domain to the EV server.

PSTDIsableGrow set to 0,

HidePSTDisableGrow set to 1,

PSTDIsableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides not required.

ForceFormReload set to 1

DIsablePST not needed with Outlook 2007.

I expect that all would agree with the above.

The bit I missed and couldn't find a docuiment to wake me up to the solution is this:

I have the VAC installed and available on the same laptop. I needed to change the User Authentication in my ie Browser from 'Automatic Logon with current user name and password' to 'Prompt for user name and password'.

Thnks to Chris' guidance everything else was near enough correct. It was the user logon that was getting in the way! I don't use my own logon to give me access to the VAC, I use a different ID with higher Admin rights for EV!

Lesson learned the painful way :)

Consider this solved and closed !