cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Virtual Vault and Virtual Cache

Carlos_Castro
Level 4

Hi Everyone!

I had installed Enterprise Vault 10 in my test server Windows Server 2008 R2, intending to perform some tests with the product and Exchange 2007. The test client runs Outlook 2007. Once enterprise vault is configured and working, and I'm able to provision the test mailboxes, I tried to enable virtual vault and virtual cache.

In the server, in the desktop policy I enabled virtual vault and virtual cache, and with the default options (install automatically, with wizard, so on).

After that, I manually provisioned, synchronized and archived on the server.

Afterwards, when I log in to my outlook client, I don't see the VCache or VVault buttons or options in the EV toolbar. If I click the toolbar + ctrl + shift in the EV Information the only error that appears is 

TESTING CONNECTION
HTTP connection failed http://WIN-GV6V5SU1CTH.test.local/EnterpriseVault (Status: 0x12)

If I ping WIN-GV6V5SU1CTH.test.local I get reply, the client and the server are directly conected in LAN.

Any ideas of how to get Virtual Cache and Virtual Vault working? Let me know any way in which I can provide more information.

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

If you have VM resource shortage you can installe Exchange all-in-one on the DC (this is not support by Microsoft but you can get away with in a test lab). Unfortunately, you won't be able to run DC, Exchange, EV and client ALL on one machine. This is your problem, I am 99% sure of that. :)

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You set the cache location on the server correct? Also what version of the client are you running??
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Carlos_Castro
Level 4

Detail, in the client, on EV Information of the outlook 2007 plugin, says the following regarding virtual cache

Virtual cache details

Status never enabled. Disabled by administrator

It's like the command never reached the client. hope it helpS!

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

could you post the full client trace?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38096

what about if you put http://WIN-GV6V5SU1CTH.test.local/EnterpriseVault on internet explorer on the client machine...do you get any authentication request etc? can you get to an EV web page? Any Proxy settings on your IE?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

just seen this...and does looks like the hidden message has not yet been updated or the mailbox has not yet synched properly.

Carlos_Castro
Level 4

Hi everyone! thanks for your answers.

Both client and server are version 10.0.

JesusWept3, how could I check that I have set the cache location on the server correctly?

When in the client I type the url  http://WIN-GV6V5SU1CTH.test.local/EnterpriseVault I get

403.4 Forbidden. The page you are trying to access is secured with secure Sockets Layer (ssl).

LCT, you mean the full log from Enterprise Vault Information of the outlook add-in?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

yes a full client trace please, that would make life a lot easier to see what is happening.

403.4 Forbidden. The page you are trying to access is secured with secure Sockets Layer (ssl).

Is your EV server IIS has SSL (HTTPS) enabled?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

On the Vault Admin Console -Expand to Enetrprise Vault servers and then properties the EV server there should be a tab for Cache location...(i believe it's there and I think that's what Alex meant).

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Adding to above, can you try to disable the mailbox for archiving - zap the mailbox using EVPM - enable mailbox for archiving again?

This should place fresh hidden message in user mailbox. I've seen similar issue in my environment where we change the desktop policy for user but he/she doesn't gets VC or VV options, and that's the way we go about it.

The HTTP failure, I've read somewhere it is an internal bug which should'nt be worried about (I could be wrong, but my brain is recalling that - Blame my brain if I am wrong ;)

Carlos_Castro
Level 4

Hi AKL, thanks for the information. Could you please explain me what you mean by "zap the mailbox using EVPM ". I'm new to EV and English isn't my native language, which makes me unfamiliar with the term "zap" :(.

Thanks!

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You're probably right about the bug with the client showing cannot connect to the EV server via HTTP...in this instance I suspect it's the EV server is causing the problem as it probably has HTTPS enabled in IIS and the client is trying to connect it using HTTP....from what I can see via the error provided.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Try disabling and re-enabling and then re-synch it again...more info about zapping a mailbox here

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35614

Carlos_Castro
Level 4

Hi, I tried disabling, re-enabling and syncing (and provisioning and archiving) the mailbox, but the account's outlook yet doesn't show anything - Everything is the same. 

The cache seems correctly configured - It points to a folder C:\EVStorage\Cache and has 4 empty folders inside.

Attached are the client logs (If these aren't the logs you asked let me know how to get them please.)

Any other Ideas? Do you think I should try to disable / zap / enable the mailbox?

Thanks

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Your EV server is EVSERVERS = WIN-GV6V5SU1CTH.evtest.local;WIN-GV6V5SU1CTH, your mailbox server is MAILBOXSERVER = WIN-GV6V5SU1CTH. It looks like you have EVERYTHING running on the same machine. This is not supported and I know this is your test but EV and exchange server runnning on the same machine will not work even in test. This explains why you can't access EnterpriseVault page because you have all-in-one exchange box and it by defaults it uses HTTPS.

You should start testing again by separating exchange-all-in one server on one machine and EV server on another and also a client machine.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

If you have VM resource shortage you can installe Exchange all-in-one on the DC (this is not support by Microsoft but you can get away with in a test lab). Unfortunately, you won't be able to run DC, Exchange, EV and client ALL on one machine. This is your problem, I am 99% sure of that. :)

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Just confirming - You tried to zap the mailbox as well after disabling? Because zap operation is one which will remove the old hidden message.

And I agree to LCT, Having Exchange server running on  same machine as Enterprise vault isn't a good idea.

Carlos_Castro
Level 4

Hi everyone! Well I'll try to zap the mailbox, and if that doesn't work, I'll separate the components in different servers as you suggest.

Thanks for your help, I'll update when I've got news!

Carlos_Castro
Level 4

Hi everyone! I've installed a new environment with the following computers and it worked. Details below in case anyone has the same issue

EVDomainController: domain controller - windows server 2008 r2 - domain evtest.local

EVExchange:  Exchange 2007 and sql server 2008 r2  - windows server 2008 r2

EVSErver: Enterprose vault 10  - windows server 2008 r2 - enabled virtual cache and enabled virtual vault  - outlook 2007 sp2 (ev2.evtest.local)

EVClient: windows 7, outlook 2007 sp2 + outlook add in

When in the client I ctrl+shift+click the EV toolbar, I see the vault information, and said

"Virtual Cache never enabled. Disabled by administrator"

Went to the server, disabled the account provisioned, synced and archived. Then enabled the account againt, provisioned synced and archived again, then it worked.

Also, archiving task was using the EV account as system mailbox, which was wrong. I changed the system mailbox to another account exclusive for that.

Thanks to everyone!