Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enteprise Vault and HP TRIM

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

We have a client that uses HP TRIM for document management, and here's what we are experiencing.

We have isolated the problem to the TRIM add-in. And yes, I know this is an enterprise vault forum, but these issues arise from the use of both, and I'm hoping to draw from your experience, given that HP trim is very popular, so might have run into similar issues and what you did to work around them.

Client Environment

• EV 10.0.2
  • Current archive policy is 1 month archive, 12 months shortcuts
  • Standard VDI: Office 2007 SP3- TRIM Add-in 6.2.5.1343 – EV Add- 10.0.2.1112
  • Office 2010 Test VDI: Office 2010 - TRIM Add-in 7.2.2.3697 – EV Add- 10.0.2.1112

The main issue we see, is that the TRIM add in greyes out when archive explorer is loaded when email is retrieved (see image below)

.Capture.JPG

When loading the same message from within outlook, TRIM is enabled (see image)

Capture2.JPG

and finally, as TRIM modifies the subject, and adds more properties to the object, it creates duplicates of the original email (see image below), as it cannot modify the archived item. (and yes, this is closely related to a previous post of mine).

Capture3.JPG

I've also managed to 'trick' Trim into working when loading archive explorer, by loading a shortcut from within outlook prior to launch archive explorer, and in this case, it won't create the duplicates on the mailbox.

My questions are.

• Have you into similar situation with either EV or TRIM before, or any other DMS? if so, what was your solution or workaround?
  • Do you have any ideas as to why this behaviour occurs?

I can provide any traces you might need that could help troubleshoot this.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
My best guess is that the issue arises for the fact the fact that the email is not opened in the main message store, so if you drag out a message to your desktop, are the same items greyed out? When EV opens an item it's opened via a temporary PST file, and is outside of the main mailbox/message store It's why the next previous buttons are also greyed out too
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
My best guess is that the issue arises for the fact the fact that the email is not opened in the main message store, so if you drag out a message to your desktop, are the same items greyed out? When EV opens an item it's opened via a temporary PST file, and is outside of the main mailbox/message store It's why the next previous buttons are also greyed out too
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Oh, yes, we had done the same test, with same results. But your explanation makes sense.

We have opened a ticket with HP Support, and will post the response here.