cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 10 Export Query

Symantoc
Level 2

We have a client currently using Enterprise Vault 10 and we are looking to migrate into Mimecast. As part of the process we need to export the archives from the vault store to PST.

They have 3 servers running as Virtual Machines on a single server. There is an EV Admin Console server (running the evault service), an EV SQL server and a EV Vault Store server (hosting all the data).

When we run the export on the EV Admin Console it contacts the Vault Store over the network and starts transferring the data onto the EV Admin Console server. This takes quite a lot of time as the transfer is slow.

Is there a way to export the data directly on the Vault Store without having to go over the network? 

So far I've tried installing the admin console on the Vault Store server in order to utilise the Export-EVArchive powershell cmdlet (however, this doesn't seem to be available in EV 10).

Any help would be much appreciated :)

7 REPLIES 7

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you please clarify what software is installed on the 'EV Vault Store server', is it an EV server, part of the EV domain or just a Windows server with a CIFS share that is exported to provide storage for EV?

If it's an EV server, it will have EV Admin Console installed, if there is no shortcut for it, you must be able to add it to MMC as a snap-in. 

The EV Vault Store Server is part of the EV Domain and contains an ntfs partition hosting the vault store data.

When I look on the EV admin console it's showing as the location for the EV Store under Vault Store Groups.

It didn't have EV Admin Console installed but I installed it last night. When I open the admin console it asks for the Directory Service Computer (as the services aren't installed on the vault store group server it fails to run locally). 

- I can point it back to the evault server but then if I try an archive it exports it over the network.

Is there a way to export the data in the server hosting the vault store (i.e. can i configure the server as an additional server to export the data locally)?

Thanks

Mouse

I am sorry for asking the question again but these statements contradict to each other:

The EV Vault Store Server is part of the EV Domain and contains an ntfs partition hosting the vault store data.

and

It didn't have EV Admin Console installed but I installed it last night. When I open the admin console it asks for the Directory Service Computer (as the services aren't installed on the vault store group server it fails to run locally). 

So, to clarify - if you don't have EV services installed on a machine, the machine is not part of the EV domain. The fact that you use storage from that server does not make it part of the EV domain.

If you want to export data locally, you have two options:

1. Move the disks that contain EV Vault Store Partitions to the EV server and adjust storage locations - see https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000028294

2. Install a new EV server (this could be tricky if you are not familiar with EV) to the server with Vault Store Partitions and move the Storage Service - see https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100017529.html

The latter is a more complex operation, so I'd consider going with the first option or engage a seasoned EV consultant who will do it safely if you are not confident.

Thanks for the info, as you can tell my knowledge of EV is limited. The main purpose of the whole exercise is to speed up the export process. I tried an export of a 6GB mailbox last night and it took 12 hours.

Option 1 may be possible - there's not enough space on the EV server but it's on a VM so we may be able to move the disks from the Vault Store server onto the EV server and redirect the indexes\vault store to the new local location (will speak to the 3rd party who manage the servers).

One last question, if i'm exporting an archive to pst... is there a way to take it offline before exporting to speed things up? (or maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept)

Mouse

You can stop archiving for a mailbox but it will hardly speed up any export operations, unless you are ingesting a lot of mails which you unlikely do, archive won't perform any faster.

What could help though if you can add more resources to SQL if there is a bottleneck or indeed move storage close to where export is happening if I/O is an issue

Thanks, there's also an error that '264153' archive items are waiting to be indexed. Would this also cause a massive delay with the export process?

Mouse

this is unlikely because this message is related to issues with the indexing service which is responsible for providing search results