cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 10 Maintain and Troubleshoot course

eDP8
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified

In the pursuit of training excellence, we need your assistance. We are developing training for Symantec Enterprise Vault. The question is “What does it take to be an Enterprise Vault administrator?” We are looking for the tasks an Enterprise Vault administrator performs as part of their job. These should include things that are as common as daily or weekly tasks up to infrequent tasks that occur quarterly or annually. Please list the tasks in this forum.

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

Part of my tasks:

Use Monitoring webpage for a quick investigation on the environment. Are all the number (ie diskspace/items waiting backup/indexing/replication/db-size/db-logfilesize/items in exchange journalmailbox) at an acceptable level (experience wise)

Verify provisioning report

Verify eventlog for errors that are not occurring often. (EV/Application and System)

Verify all tasks are running

Verify MSMQ numbers is at acceptable levels

Verify backupmode set/cleared at expected times, verify also backup has succeeded

In VAC verify indexes

In VAC, update Status, verify ok.

verify storage locations, look for *.arch* files  :) delete old ones

verify authorization database every now and then to see if noone added unwanted entries

verify/check performance and adjust threads if necessary

When I can think of more, 'll add....

Regards. Gertjan

eDP8
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified

I had an email stating they would like my real name for the original post.

Leonard Temple

Principal Learning Consultant.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I'm not EV administrator but technical pre-sales guy working for a Symantec distributor.
I have to learn EV in order to take corresponding STS exam and I started from scratch to learn EV10.

I would suggest following training for beginners:

• a quick tour (not easy to understand by itsef that depiste you added a mailbox, you have to enable it, or not obvious that event task are marked running, they won't execute until you add them to schedule...)
  • focus on Backup using BE and NBU (eBooks I reviewed explain backup using Windows tools and trying to setup backup through NetBackup was not easy). (I will probably post some tutorial education video later one about this)

Hope this helps.
Regards

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Leonard

I am of the opinion that an EV admin should also understand  how to troubleshoot ,so I would add to Gerts list the following

1. Knowledge of MSMQ and the relationship between the queues
  2. Knowledge of EVOM and the EV  Reporting and what they mean
  3. Understanding Dtrace and how to quickly log a call with Symantec with the right information
  4. Understanding EV desktop issues ,how to troubleshoot and identify problems