cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 10 Server Settings Migration Wizard?

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi,

before this wizard,when we want to change EV server HW ,we used DR senarios and this TN.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55377

i read the this wizard document,i have some questions;

source server will be 9.01 or greater.

*target server should have also ev binaries? ev 9 or 10? how i will install this server using same host name ,ip,sql server  vs... i  confused...

*if i have 10 tb archived data what will be the import and export time? ( for example; move archive is too slow for migration)

*all of the migrated items will be generated again?i will mount SAN drives to target new evserver?

*server name will be different evserver 1 and evserver2 , i will create different dns alias for them?

thanks...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

Its failing because the query is unable to resolve a ComputerEntry that matches this machine, as per the previous SQL statement.  The Vault machine that is being exported, which of the following services does it have installed; Storage, Indexing, TaskController, Shopping?

Can we also get a dump of each of the tables mentioned [ComputerEntry, StorageServiceEntry, IndexingServiceEntry, TaskControllerServiceEntry, ShoppingServiceEntry], they should only hold a few rows.

Send to nathan_clark@symantec.com if you wish, have you got a case logged?

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There's a PDF in this TechNote, which explains some things:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO42445

- Target Server needs EV installed, but in UNCONFIGURED state (i.e. do not run configuration wizard after setup), EV 9.0.1 or later is supported as source and target.

- This process will not automatically move any data. Refer to Page 19 in the PDF "Migrating Enterprise Vault data".   You state you got SAN storage, so this applies to you:

SAN-based storage presents itself to servers as locally attached storage. If you use SAN storage, you must detach the storage from the source server and attach it to the target server.

- If your Servername is different, then you just point the DNS alias to the new Server. See Page 21 "Updating the DNS alias" and Page 8 "Enterprise Vault target server names"

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

As Michel inferred, and the tool title itself, this is just for the Server Settings. It doesn't touch the physical data.

A basic workflow is:-

- Get the server in a condition to effectively decomission (all stated in the doc)

- Run the export which creates some files for the tool to use. Services are disabled (effectively making this server redundant). This gives you a report on what, if anything, needs to be performed (like making locations on the target, moving data or re-linking to the target server etc)

- Install, but DO NOT configure, the EV binaries on the target server

- Ensure that any storage locations, SQL etc are accessible from the target server and DNS is updated (again in the doc)

- Run the wizard and it should automatically detect that it's an unconfigured EV system and run in Import mode

- Point the wizard to the files made at the start

- Wizard completes. EV is back up and running.

It would be beneficial to read the documentation thoroughlly and also pay attention to the reports.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

but it gives an error,i couldnt import.where is the failure?

MichelZ
Level 6

I've not used the Migration Wizard yet, but it seems that it tries to "Export" here, so I guess you do not have a completely "unconfigured" system.
Remember, you just need to install EV, but you do not need to configure it (i.e. Set Directory SQL Server, Directory Computer and so on)

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

As stated, if you run this wizard on a CONFIGURED EV server, it will default to Export mode only. If you've got the target as unconfigured it will know and set the mode to Import.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i'm trying to read into K.G.'s original post and i think one of the questions he asked is if the source and target EV servers need the same version of the binaries.

MichelZ
Level 6

No, they don't, Target must be same or higher.
However, keep in mind, if the target is higher, the server immediately starts the standard "Upgrade" process of EV. (Which results in: You have to upgrade your entire EV Infrastructure)

MichelZ
Level 6

So this is actually the source server, and it fails while exporting?
Seems like the logfile is pretty useless here :)

The only thing I can think of is that there is maybe an Eventlog entry?

Probably best to open a case with Symantec...

Cheers

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

configured production server n 9.02.

there is no target server yet,just i want to see export file is created or not,but i seen that this screen,there is no error on log file but it shows an erorr and finished without creating export file.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

in the log file it seems everything is succesfully checked,but wizard says that there are at least 1 failure but what is the failure? :)

i have some migration projects and i want to use this tool,and i want to try in my environment firstly.

(previous migration -DR senarios have more process manually,and more risk.)

are there anyone use this tool ,and finished migration sucesfully?

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i have a project on another customer and i upgrade their version to 9.02 ,then i want to learn the migration wizard result in this different environmet.

i run the wizard and result is same! there is no error in log but export wizard failed and finished without creating any file!

If you have any 9.02 evserver please run this wizard i want learn that you will get same result or not?

because i tried in 2 different customer in 9.02 result is same,didint work.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/migration_0.JPG

thanks...

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Can you upload the logfile??

MichelZ
Level 6

Tested export, did work on my system ;)

Cheers

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

We've done a lot of testing internally, and I've even done it in my lab and it worked well. I'm not sure what's going on here..

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

I have tested, and it works in my lab

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

is too small and you can see in my attached pictuure,in previsious post,in the log file everything is ok,there is no failure but wizard failed.

it is interesting you create export file succesfully,but i tried 2 different EV 9.02 environment and get same result.I dont know why i get this failure,because there is no pre-steps before running wizard 

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

Is this a cluster? can you dtrace ServerMigration and post the log?

thanks

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

log is;

09/08/2011 11:48:57 Task "Check if Enterprise Vault core services are installed." Started
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Task "Check if Enterprise Vault core services are installed." Completed
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Task "Check Enterprise Vault version." Started
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Enterprise Vault Version is 9.0.2.1061
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Enterprise Vault Version check passed
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Task "Check Enterprise Vault version." Completed
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Enterprise Vault core services configured
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Task "Check if Vault Service Account is configured" Started
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Can get VSA account from EV services
09/08/2011 11:48:57 Task "Check if Vault Service Account is configured" Completed
09/08/2011 11:48:57 returning mode Export

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

I mean use the dtrace.exe utility and set the ServerMigration process whist running the wizard.

thanks