cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 7sp3 Storage Move

achpatil
Level 3

Hello guys,

I am new to Symantec Enterprise Vault and have been given this piece of work to move some Enterprise Vault Servers from one location to another.

We have 2 EV servers in 2 different locations but belong to the same site. We are consolidating our data centers and need to move these servers from 2 offices into 2 data centers. They are currently running EV 7 SP3 (I know they are few versions behind). But at this point we just need to move them to the new DCs.

A lift and shift would have been easy but we have an issue with the storage. The backend storage is on SAN which is shared between a few servers. So we need to copy the EV Storage to the new datacenter.

I have a few things in mind. I was wondering if you guys let me know if it will work.

Step 1 - Copy offline all the EV partitions and index data from the exisiting server to the SAN in the new DC in the exact same folder structure that is present on the server. (Can I just do a Rich Copy online or do I need the EV services to be down when I copy these?) 

Step 2 - Bring all EV services down and copy all the data for one final time. Shift the servers including the SQL backend to the new Data Center. Present the SAN storage to the EV servers. This will have the same folder and drive strucutre as the old server settings.

Step 3 - Start all the services with the new storage in place.

Does that sound something that is achieveable

I also need to know about P2V of EV server. Is it a good idea? Will there be any performance issues?

Thanks

A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi achpatil,

1. Yes you should copy the closed vault store partitions first and you don't need to put EV into read only mode for this and there's no changes occuring, You should put EV into Read-Only mode when copying active (open) partitions.

2. Yes EV should be in Read-Only mode when copying EV Indexes. If any index failed for whatever reason, go through the best practice and start updating them, then repair and then rebuild (only if it's really neccessary for rebuilding)

3. Yes I don't see why not...I have had customers using RoboCopy and update the changes on the final phase of the move.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi achpatil,

That should be ok what you have listed. You don't have to take EV services down to do a copy, just put EV into Read-Only mode and perform the copy. This just means that no more archiving and users are still able to access their archived items. You should be able to put EV into Read-Only mode from your backup scripts. You should not put EV into normal mode until you have complete the move as you don't want any changes to your vault stores, indexes and EV SQL databases.

P2V of EV server is fine, just like P2V-ing any other servers really. Performance will depend on how beefy your VM farm is and how much resource you can afford to give the Ev servers.

Hope that helps.

Chau 

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

So to recap:

- Put your EV servers into Read-Only mode

- Copy the data (ensure that drive and data structures are the same). If this is not possible you can correct this in SQL. 

- Power down the EV servers and then move (either physical move or P2V then move).

- Power up the EV servers.

- As long as the EV server(s) in the new data centre can communicate with the Domain Controller, Exchange servers, SQL server or any other required servers/services you shouldn't get any problems.

- Put EV back into normal mode.

- Test Ev functions from EV servers and from client machines.

Hope that help further.

achpatil
Level 3

Thanks CTEV, that is really helpful and definitely a start.

A couple of follow on questions.

1) With regards to the Copy - I have roughly 12TB and 6TB to copy from the EV servers. So a network copy over a 1GB link is going to take days and we cant really have the EV servers in Read-Only mode for that long. Is there a way I can copy the closed EV partitions without having to put the EV in Read-Only mode. Once the chunk of data has been copied, then put the EV in Read-only mode and then copy the reminder of the data and then move.

2) I m guessing to copy the Vault Index, the EV server has to be in a Read-Only mode and cant be done without it.

3) Can I restore data from the backups and then do a delta sync of the changed data on the day of the move??

Thanks for your help..

Regards

A

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What SAN storage are you using? (Please be as specific as possible.)

achpatil
Level 3

Hi Andrrew,

On one of the server, we have HP EVA SAN presented and the other one we have HP EVA SAN and NexSAN. I will try to get the model no. when I am at work tomorrow.

Thanks

A

AndrewB

i should have asked this before but what will your target storage be?

achpatil
Level 3

The target storage will be on NetApp FAS 3279 SAN connected through SAN.

Denis_Kattithar
Level 3
Accredited Certified

The target SAN storage should not make a difference, as long as the EV partition drive aplhabet is available with all the data.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi achpatil,

1. Yes you should copy the closed vault store partitions first and you don't need to put EV into read only mode for this and there's no changes occuring, You should put EV into Read-Only mode when copying active (open) partitions.

2. Yes EV should be in Read-Only mode when copying EV Indexes. If any index failed for whatever reason, go through the best practice and start updating them, then repair and then rebuild (only if it's really neccessary for rebuilding)

3. Yes I don't see why not...I have had customers using RoboCopy and update the changes on the final phase of the move.

Thanks.

AndrewB

Dennis, it matters and I asked because in certain scenarios there other options for copying the data besides robocopy.

AndrewB

1. unless you're cab'ing or expiring data

2. absolutely

3. agreed

achpatil
Level 3

Hi Andrew,

Can you please let me know what "cab'ing or expiring data" means? I want the data in those EV partitions to be accessible to the users after the move. Will that be the case?

Thanks

A