cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 8 High Availability best practice ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi People,

I got Symantec Enterprise v 8.0 SP4 as a VM which uses Physical RDM capability to leverage EMC SnapView replication from production site to DR site LUN level, however I wonder if this is the correct procedure since I cannot find any way to to create DR instance of EV that can be used in the disaster recovery scenario ?

What are my options and how to achieve that in case the primary site is down completely in terms of Server and the storage ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Building Blocks:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52747

The following instructions are from the Enterprise Vault "Administrations Guide.pdf

Configuring a working building blocks solution

This chapter describes the procedure to follow when an Enterprise Vault server that is part of a building blocks solution has failed or been replaced.
Before you use this procedure it is essential that you have configured a working building blocks solution. The failover will not work unless you have already run
Update Service Locations on the correctly-configured Enterprise Vault site.

To configure a working building blocks solution

1 Change the DNS alias (cname) of the failed Enterprise Vault server so that it maps to a working server. You must make this change on all the remaining servers
in the Enterprise Vault site.  The method you use to do this depends on the procedures within your organization, as follows:

■ Using a host file. Update the host files on all the remaining server computers in the Enterprise Vault site.
                ■ Using DNS zones. Update the DNS zones to reflect the new alias.

2 Start the Administration Console on any of the servers in the Enterprise Vault site.

3 In the left pane, expand the tree until the EnterpriseVaultServers container is visible.

4 Right-click the Enterprise Vault Servers container and, on the shortcut menu, click Update Service Locations. You are prompted for the password for the Vault Service account.

5 Enter the password for the Vault Service account and click OK.  Enterprise Vault updates the service locations and creates new services as necessary.  At the end of the update a summary screen appears, listing the services on each computer in the site.

6 If the Update Service Locations has created any services, start them. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

well if you using rdm and replicating that there would be no way to create a new "DR instance" if site primary fails then you simply poweron the server in remote site.

if i was you i would mostprobebly just use USL insted of replication for the EV Server part of things.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

What is USL ?

is that part of the Symantec EV feature ?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

Building Blocks:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52747

The following instructions are from the Enterprise Vault "Administrations Guide.pdf

Configuring a working building blocks solution

This chapter describes the procedure to follow when an Enterprise Vault server that is part of a building blocks solution has failed or been replaced.
Before you use this procedure it is essential that you have configured a working building blocks solution. The failover will not work unless you have already run
Update Service Locations on the correctly-configured Enterprise Vault site.

To configure a working building blocks solution

1 Change the DNS alias (cname) of the failed Enterprise Vault server so that it maps to a working server. You must make this change on all the remaining servers
in the Enterprise Vault site.  The method you use to do this depends on the procedures within your organization, as follows:

■ Using a host file. Update the host files on all the remaining server computers in the Enterprise Vault site.
                ■ Using DNS zones. Update the DNS zones to reflect the new alias.

2 Start the Administration Console on any of the servers in the Enterprise Vault site.

3 In the left pane, expand the tree until the EnterpriseVaultServers container is visible.

4 Right-click the Enterprise Vault Servers container and, on the shortcut menu, click Update Service Locations. You are prompted for the password for the Vault Service account.

5 Enter the password for the Vault Service account and click OK.  Enterprise Vault updates the service locations and creates new services as necessary.  At the end of the update a summary screen appears, listing the services on each computer in the site.

6 If the Update Service Locations has created any services, start them. 

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Ah, so in this case I still need to have SAN based replication handled by my storage vendor.

cmiiw ?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

You only need Undexes / Vault Store data replicated if you use BuildingBlocks ;)

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hm.. sounds bit complex to me.

I wish that in the new version of Enterprise Vault, it can behave like Exchange Server CCR / DAG (replication without the need of shared storage / Physical RDM LUN presented to the server). This is to simplify the DR situation.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Quadrotech has a tool called EVNearSync, you might like it.

http://www.quadrotech-it.com/products/evnearsync/

JesusWept3
Level 6

USL isn't HA though by a long shot!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Like Tony said, I think you should consider third party products, like EVnearSync.

Working for cloudficient.com