cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Add in causes Outlook 2007 to crash at startup

Yad
Level 2

Hi All,

I am at wit's end with this one. Outlook keeps crashing at startup unless Enterprise vault add in 10.0.4 is disabled.

It should be noted that EV10 was working earlier but then slow performance prompted me to enable maximum client trace for EV (ctrl + shift + click on EV icons.) Once restarted, Outlook would not stop crashing until we disable the add in.

The following actions did not resolve the issue:

1. Running ResetEVClient.exe

2. Reinstalling Enterprise Vault

3. Creating a new Mail Profile

4. Reinstalling Outlook 2007

Saw this post and it is exactly what I'm going through - http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/valkyriedll-crashes-outlook-2007-tried-several-fixes

The only issue is that I cannot revert the trace to 'error only' as Outlook crashes at startup. When disabled, the EV icons are not present.

I've attached the trace log I found at the temp folder.

Can someone point me to the right direction? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can totally change the logging level through the registry
Because when you set the logging levevl, it adds the key if it doesn't exist

So on a 32-bit machine it should go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\LoggingLevel

On 64bit though it should go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\LoggingLevel

Afterall, the client is a 32bit piece of software, so should stay under WOW64Node

Anywho, just do a registry search for LoggingLevel and set it to 0

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
You can set the log level under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Clienr LogLevel (DWORD) But really you'll need to get a crash dump of outlook and open a case with symc I know I have an issue where we have a case open with Vault Cache and invalid dates (years greater than 9999) and when WDS attempts to index the items outlook crashes but outlook does remain open for a few minutes at least Also it could be because you have a lot of dev stuff on your machine, is sql and exchange server etc maybe causing some underlying conflict

Yad
Level 2

Thanks, I'll raise a case with symc and include the crash dump. I'm rather sure the issue isn't with WDS indexing invalid dates as the it was working fine before I set trace logging to 'maximum' and outlook crashes immediately.

Also noticed that I do not have KVS under that registry path. The path ends here HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ with 'Microsoft' being the sole entry under it.

Thanks again. Just find it a bit stressful that enabling trace logging prevents outlook from opening with the add in enabled (and you cannot modify the log settings without the add in enabled). Hopefully, I get to the bottom of this with symc.

JesusWept3
Level 6

You can totally change the logging level through the registry
Because when you set the logging levevl, it adds the key if it doesn't exist

So on a 32-bit machine it should go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\LoggingLevel

On 64bit though it should go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\LoggingLevel

Afterall, the client is a 32bit piece of software, so should stay under WOW64Node

Anywho, just do a registry search for LoggingLevel and set it to 0

Yad
Level 2

Brilliant. I've checked the registry before and could not find anything under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Glad you recommended the search as I found it under HKEY_USERS. Modifying LoggingLevel to 0 fixed it.

I still find it interesting as to why setting the trace log to maximum causes this behaviour but that's another story. All's good - Cheers mate!