cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Agent for NetBackup

Paterson
Level 4
Hi,
I have a question for anybody who is using the Enterprise Vault agent for NetBackup.  When using this agent, how do the index locations and vault stores go into backup mode?  I've read through many symantec docs related to  Enterprise Vault agent for NetBackup and either I missed the page that talks about my question or it just isn't documented.
Thank you,
Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As I said in my previous post, yes you will still use the Powershell cmdlets to put EV in backup mode.  You can either have NBU execute the scripts or use Windows Task Scheduler.  I would recommend NBU calling the script as part of the backup job.

Page 13 of the NetBackup 6.x and Enterprise Vault 8 Integration doc has this:
There are many approaches to configuring your pre- and post-backup routines. These options are explained in detail in the companion document available at http://support.veritas.com/docs/312327 . This backup product-agnostic document will guide an administrator through configuring the Powershell cmdlets which can place all or part of the Enterprise Vault 8 environment into backup mode and return it to normal mode after backups. These cmdlets can be added into pre- and post-backup batchfiles or scripts, and executed from either the NetBackup server or from the Windows Task Scheduler of the Enterprise Vault 8 server.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Have you seen this doc?

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/323945.htm

Basically you are going to use the Powershell cmdlets in pre and post backup batch files or scripts that NBU can execute.

edit-  I meant to post this one:  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/330330.htm

Cheers,

Paterson
Level 4
Hi Tony,
I've seen those doc's and they don't answer my question.  We are now using the Enterprise Vault Agent for NetBackup for 6.5.4 and I can't get a clear answer as to whether I need to continue to use the Powershell cmdlets to put everything into backup mode.  We have a case open with Symantec under our NetBackup support contract but I can't get a clear cut answer.  So I figured that somebody here in the Enterprise Vault forum must use the Enterprise Vault Agent to backup EV.  
Thanks,
Scott

TonySterling
As I said in my previous post, yes you will still use the Powershell cmdlets to put EV in backup mode.  You can either have NBU execute the scripts or use Windows Task Scheduler.  I would recommend NBU calling the script as part of the backup job.

Page 13 of the NetBackup 6.x and Enterprise Vault 8 Integration doc has this:
There are many approaches to configuring your pre- and post-backup routines. These options are explained in detail in the companion document available at http://support.veritas.com/docs/312327 . This backup product-agnostic document will guide an administrator through configuring the Powershell cmdlets which can place all or part of the Enterprise Vault 8 environment into backup mode and return it to normal mode after backups. These cmdlets can be added into pre- and post-backup batchfiles or scripts, and executed from either the NetBackup server or from the Windows Task Scheduler of the Enterprise Vault 8 server.

Paterson
Level 4
Hi Tony, I asked this yesterday when I was talking to a guy on the NetBackup team and he told me that I don't need to use the powershell cmdlets any more. I will go through that doc again. Thanks, Scott

TonySterling
Well I am not a NBU expert and am just going by the documents that I have read.  It is possible that NBU now puts EV in backup mode automatically and the doc has not been updated.

Paterson
Level 4
Hi, I just got off the phone with support for EV and we do need to continue to use the powershell scripts. Maybe with NBU 7 things will change. Thank you, Scott