cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Archiving in the cloud

RunAs
Level 2

I just wanted to get a quick idea of other people's experience of using cloud based storage for EV.

We currently have EV10.0.4 CHF3 and approximate 7TB of archive storage (we don't delete anything - ever)

The amount of space on the SAN is getting tight, and i'm considering spooling the data that is 10+ years old to the cloud.

I suppose my question is which cloud should we use?

Could someone share their experiences/pricing and any "gotcha's" in doing this?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Anytime you moved older items to different storage platform you engender delays in retrieval of the data.  Some environments us tape storage, optical disks and now cloud.  It is funcitonal, depending on your retreival requirements.  Moving data that is 10 years old will have a very very minimal effect on users since they don't look for that data very often, if at all.  The only real effect would be in the case of an eDiscovery request for that old data.

Just my 2 cents...

TRALSH
Level 4
Employee

Additonally if you have data migrated to a supported secondary storage cloud platform, Index rebuilds, and large exports will take longer to complete.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

and could be very costly in terms of $/gb depending on your arrangement with the cloud storage provider. from what i've seen they structure it so you can write to your heart's content but they charge bigtime to pull it down.

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

https://clientui-kb.symantec.com/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/DOCUMENTATION/5000/DOC5387/en_US/DOC5387.pdf