Event ID: 3249
Date:  10/4/2009
Time:  7:09:40 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: AIBACKUPXEON
Description:
Error occurred when sending a MQ message
There are insufficient resources to perform this operation.  [0xc00e0027]

I've gone into Computer Management, services and applications, message queueing and expanded the "limit message storage" to 8000000KB. I then restarted the services but estarted the server. I still get the error, even after expanding the limit message storage parameter. My server OS is windows server 2003.  The error shuts down the Task and Controller service, as per the knowledge base article. What value should I place in the limit message storage field and is this the correct place to be modifying? Thanks again...Jacob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

The standard I have seen in most large installs (and small ones is) 8388608 (8Gb) for the msmq storage size. Your value of 80000000 = 76Gb which might be the cause of the issue.

Also check the msmq folder size (as Tony as said) if it is large and your msmq's do not have any items in them, check the properties of each of the queues, is journalling switched on for any of the queues as this will take up space the you would not normally see.

You will not have any outgoing msmq's unless another EV server is running the storage service.

Another good reference is http://blogs.msdn.com/johnbreakwell/archive/2007/03/08/insufficient-resources-and-symantec-enterprise-vault.aspx

which suggests setting the following reg key to limit the maximum size of a msmq message

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage\MaxMSMQMessageSize

This is a DWORD and is measured in bytes so if, for example, you wanted a maximum size of 3MB then assign a value of 3145728.

HTH

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
this should work. can you check again?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

jfarber-123
Level 4

Thank you for the fast reply. I checked again in Computer Management, Services and Application, Message Queueing. and then right click on properties The value in the field "Limit Storage to (kb ) is 80000000. I've rebooted the server after making the change in this field and then  run the archive task.   Am I in the correct place and changing the value to a valid value ?   Jacob

When I run the archive task I get this warning:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Agent Client Broker
Event ID: 3249
Date:  10/5/2009
Time:  8:48:05 AM
Description:
Error occurred when sending a MQ message
There are insufficient resources to perform this operation.  [0xc00e0027]

and then the Storage and Task Contoller service stop.

Thanks for all of the help.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
when you browse to the storage location for MSMQ how large is it?  For example, if the storage location in Message Queueing properties is D:\msmq\storage right click that folder and see how large it is.

jfarber-123
Level 4

I remote into the server that is hosting EV and missed this error message: It has happened a few time in the event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSMQ
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2085
Date:  10/5/2009
Time:  8:48:05 AM
Description:
The message file 'S:msmq\storage\p0000001.mq' cannot be created. There is insufficient disk space or memory.

The NTFS disk that is drive S has 64GB of space free. However the server itself has only 2GB of RAM, is this what's causing the problem ? I've got everything installed onto this single serverl EV, SQL etc. I notice that when I look at the message queues there are no outgoing queues created, but there are a bunch of EV queues in the private queue area. Does this point to a problem with the creation of queues on drive S ? I'm going to order 4GB of RAM for this test server, which has Windows server 2003. Will this help the problem ?

Thanks,          Jacob

jfarber-123
Level 4
d:\msmq\storage is 6MB, mostly in one file QMlog.    Jacob

jfarber-123
Level 4
nt

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

The standard I have seen in most large installs (and small ones is) 8388608 (8Gb) for the msmq storage size. Your value of 80000000 = 76Gb which might be the cause of the issue.

Also check the msmq folder size (as Tony as said) if it is large and your msmq's do not have any items in them, check the properties of each of the queues, is journalling switched on for any of the queues as this will take up space the you would not normally see.

You will not have any outgoing msmq's unless another EV server is running the storage service.

Another good reference is http://blogs.msdn.com/johnbreakwell/archive/2007/03/08/insufficient-resources-and-symantec-enterprise-vault.aspx

which suggests setting the following reg key to limit the maximum size of a msmq message

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage\MaxMSMQMessageSize

This is a DWORD and is measured in bytes so if, for example, you wanted a maximum size of 3MB then assign a value of 3145728.

HTH

jfarber-123
Level 4
I changed the drive MSMQ was using from drive S to drive C and that cured it. All of the rights stayed the same and both drives are identical directly attached storage, so I'm not sure what I've learned from this, I'm just glad it works. Jacob