Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault - Automating Disconnected Archive Deletions

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Hello All

We know that there have been few forums/blogs about how to pull list of disconnected archive using bill usage or AD SID table in Enterprise vault SQL and also determine which archives are locked down by Discovery Accelarator & use SQL to change deletion bit on archive.

However, I was wondering, if anyone knows or is already using an automated way, where Enterprise vault marks disconnected archive which is not locked by discovery accelarator for deletion? Like exchange does, if AD account is deleted, mailbox is disconnected and cleaned up based on database settings. (although I understand exchange is more tightly integrated to AD and can't be compared to EV integration to AD).

Currently we've set of SQL queries which goes out and detects archive which're no longer used by primary or any shared user and based on that output, we run different queries to change deletion bit for those archives in SQL, but was hoping/looking for some more sophisticated and automated way to do same.

Environment:

• Enterprise vault 9.0.4 CU5 (can upgrade to EV10 if needed)
  • SQL 2008 R2 SP1
  • Windows 2008 R2 SP1

Thanks for your inputs in this direction.

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hi AKL. many of our customers have the same challenge as you do. we've created a tool that does exactly what you're looking for with full auditing and reporting too. reach out to me directly if you would like some more information.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

AKL,

If you already have a SQL query to determine which archive has no Exchange mailbox or AD user account, running an update on the Archive table, Directory database, and update the ArchiveStatus field to 4, which means marked for deletion, it should be enough ... I do not recall any other methods that you could follow to automate this process from the Enterprise Vault perspective. I am not sure if there are any third party tools that could help you to make this process more easy.

I hope this helps.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'll take my last statement back. AndrewB can help you to improve the process.

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Andrew, I'll reach out to you shortly for some more details in this direction.

Right, we can go for third party products to integrate with vault but most corporate organization prefer to save $$$ over easing out complexity involved behind performing a task.

If development team is working on same already to integrate the feature with enterprise vault natively?

Patti_Rodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Currently there is no supported method to automate this out of the box (this includes scripting via the database)-- you would need to look into the partner solutions.  You can also enter the request on the Ideas page, which Product Management uses to intake enhancement requests. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/archiving-and-ediscovery/ideas