cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Backup Options

TheArchiveMan
Level 3

We backup our EV by using Backup Exec on a seperate server which then de-duplicates it to a local drive. The backups can take days. I am aware that collections can sometimes help since there are hundreds of little files to deal with. But I've heard that collections can potentially have other issues.

I'd like to find out what is commonly used out there to backup EV in order to cut down the backup time. Are there other and better technologies that you have found successful?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You know you can close large Vault Store partitions and open new ones.  Then you don't have to backup the large close partitions every night but rather every other week or so.  The same is true with Index locations in EV 10.

That is one way to help manage backup times.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You know you can close large Vault Store partitions and open new ones.  Then you don't have to backup the large close partitions every night but rather every other week or so.  The same is true with Index locations in EV 10.

That is one way to help manage backup times.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what tony said is probably #1 in reducing your daily backup windows. you'll still need to do daily incrementals and weekly fulls on the open locations and either weekly or monthly fulls on the closed locations.

are you using the EV agent for BE? are your issues with the indexes or with the vault store partitions?

can you quantify your data backup issues in terms of how many EV servers you're backing up, how much data in indexes (gb and file count), how much data in vault stores (gb and file count), what type of storage you're using for EV, etc?

TheArchiveMan
Level 3

Thanks. We do use partitions. I assume you are using tape backups rather than the Dedupe that we use. Yes we are using the EV agent for BE and only have around 700 Gb in the vault store. We are DeDuping on the BE server rather than the EV server. Just wondering if more people use tape than DeDuplication and if they use DeDuplication what product they use for it?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

A lot of our customers use the NetBackup Dedupe Appliance but just as many are still doing disk to tape.