cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault - Backup process after migrating data stores to CIFS share.

vanadasd
Level 4
Partner

Hello Gentlemen,

Our company has recently acquired some Data Domains, so we have migrated all of our Enterprise Vault Stores to the Data Domain.  The process went smoothly until now:

After updating the Enterprise Vault DB fields to change the paths of the vault stores, we changed them to a UNC path to the data domain (\\data-domain\evault01\Enterprise Vault Stores\File Vault Store01).  After making this change, retrieving files and everything worked just fine, and our backups were running successfully, but we noticed that the backups were only running for 5 minutes before "succeeding".

What we found was that Backup Exec wasn't actually backing up the Vault Stores anymore, it was looking for a media agent on the Data Domain, and when it couldn't find one, the backup was still marked as "success" with an error: "Media Agent not found on data-domain". It appears that Backup Exec also used these connection strings, and now it's connecting to the Data Domain as if it were the Enterprise Vault server.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  Our current solution was to create a hard-link/directory junction on our Enterprise Vault server.  We were then able to change the Enterprise Vault DB entries to reference \\EVServer\hardlink\Enterprise Vault Stores instead of referencing the Data Domaind directly. This works successfully, but now our backups are running pretty insanely slowly (Less than 500MB/Minute, we're talking a few TBs of data for the open vaults), we're hypothesizing that backing up data on the Data Domain through the Enterprise Vault server might be slowing things down.  Any other ideas would be seriously appreciated!

Thank you!

Adam

3 REPLIES 3

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have not experienced this. Might be worth reaching out to Backup Exec support and looking at the policies so you don't have to create a hard-link junction.

vanadasd
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for the response dcVAST, I think that it might've been a fluke on my end, I reconfigured the vault stores to use the normal CIFS shares and everything seems to be backing up just fine now. Thanks for responding!

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Well that's good news. Thanks!