cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Backup

PoorAdmin
Level 6

We recently move changed ouur backup application from CommVault to Veeam. Comm files Vault executed the trigger files from within the backup job. With Veeam we arerunning scheduled tasks to run the pre & post commands. We are only locking the database while the snapshot is being taken. Is this ok? Or, does it effect the post processing of the archives.

9 REPLIES 9

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It is a bit risky as what happens if Veeam fails to run and the schedule task runs?

Can you explain what you mean by locking the databases?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

enterprise vault needs to be in backup mode from the start of your backups until they complete. any way other than that will set you up for a world of pain and potential for data loss when restoring.

PoorAdmin
Level 6

I'm referring to running the trigger files. The pre-backup and post-backup batch files.

TonySterling

So you are putting EV in backup mode and snapshotting the SQL db's and then taking EV out of backup mode?  Does Veeam snapshot the vault store partitions during this time?  

I think we need some additional info on what is happening and when, particularly when are the partitions backed up and how in relation to the SQL db's being backed up.

PoorAdmin
Level 6

The SQL database are backed up hourly. The backup that I am referring to is the EV partitions. Our backup of the partitions start at 4:30am The partitons are put into backup mode at 4:15am. The snapshot is taken at 4:30am and takes about 15 minutes. The partitons (StorageGroup) are taken out of backup mode at 5:00am. The actual bakcup takes about an hour and a half but the Store Groups are only in backup mode during the snapshot.

TonySterling

Sorry, I am still confused.  You snapshot the partitions and then those snapshots are backed up?

AndrewB

sounds like the way windows VSS works. so, OP back to your original question, what can we help you with?

PoorAdmin
Level 6

Sorry, disregard the question.

AndrewB

feel free to mark the solution that helped you