cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Building Block / USL Patching/upgrade procedure

NimaJ
Level 3

We run two SEV(Symantec Enterprise Vault) for Exchange server running V10 Sp1 in two differant data centers.  The SEV stores/partitions are replicated between the two machines using DFSR. This is a basic SEV setup with no DA or CA.  I need to upgrade this environment to SP4. 

What is the upgrade procedure to SP4 for a Building Block/USL configuration?

Should I stop the replication during this process?

Can I directly upgrade this environment to SP4?

I searched for a document for this and was not able to find one.  Is there a symentech document that can help with this?

Thanks,

Nima

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Nima,

In general, when you upgrade an EV environment, you need to upgrade all servers in the same process.

We also use building blocks (3 Prod, 1 DR), but with replication of data and indexes using robocopy. This runs during the night. As you perhaps know, when you upgrade, only the databases get upgraded. Index nor stored data do not change.

If I am going to upgrade the process will be:

stop EV services, run the full-sync script to make sure data is equal on both sides.

Upgrade all 4 ev-servers, following the steps as outlined in the upgrade proces. when upgraded correct, re-enable sync.

with 2 servers, 1 Prod, 1 DR:

stop and disable EV-services. Sync data.

Stop sync

Run setup.exe on BOTH servers.

When required, reboot Prod server.

Run through the upgrade process (ie directory db, storage etc) when ok, reboot the DR server and fix it,

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Symantec Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 - Release Notes and Upgrade Instructions
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6263

This download contains the following documents:

•PreviousUpdates_en.htm.
This document describes the changes introduced to Enterprise Vault 10.0 by previous service packs.

•ReadMeFirst_en.htm.
This document provides important information about the Enterprise Vault 10.0 release.

•Updates_en.htm.
This document describes the changes introduced by Enterprise Vault 10.0.4.

•Upgrade_Instructions.pdf and Upgrade_Instructions.chm.
This document describes how to upgrade to Enterprise Vault 10.0.4

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you use Enterprise Vault building blocks there are some restrictions to the configuration that you can use for Index Server groups.

See the chapter "Failover in a building blocks configuration" in the Administrator's Guide.

Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 - Documentation.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6282

Symantec Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 - Administrator's Guide
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6588

NimaJ
Level 3

Ajay,

I had already seen that document.  As you can see it is no help at all.  It doesn't provide any detail as to what the procedure for upgrading building block is.

Hopefully there is a better document out there.  or at least someone that knows how to do this.

thanks,

Nima

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In my view the upgrade to EV 10.0 sp4 would be same as normal multi server environment & it can be done from 10.0 SP1.

You can simply upgrade EV server which is active currenlty (it may take time based on archive data VS database hold + Binaries upgrade).

Once active node upgraded then you can upgrade passive node of building block as well. (it should not take much time as database would have been upgrade).

The upgrade instuction are already supplied by EV_Ajay.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6263

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Nima,

In general, when you upgrade an EV environment, you need to upgrade all servers in the same process.

We also use building blocks (3 Prod, 1 DR), but with replication of data and indexes using robocopy. This runs during the night. As you perhaps know, when you upgrade, only the databases get upgraded. Index nor stored data do not change.

If I am going to upgrade the process will be:

stop EV services, run the full-sync script to make sure data is equal on both sides.

Upgrade all 4 ev-servers, following the steps as outlined in the upgrade proces. when upgraded correct, re-enable sync.

with 2 servers, 1 Prod, 1 DR:

stop and disable EV-services. Sync data.

Stop sync

Run setup.exe on BOTH servers.

When required, reboot Prod server.

Run through the upgrade process (ie directory db, storage etc) when ok, reboot the DR server and fix it,

Regards. Gertjan