cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault DAOS Support

pclarke
Level 3

Currently looking at the benefits of enabling DAOS on our Lotus Domino 8.5.1 (FP5) production server. This server is an Enterprise Vault archiving target where the policy is to archive attachments from users mailboxes older than three months.

I have raised a ticket with Symantec support and the response I got was it is supported but I really would like some real world experiences on how the interaction works or doesnt work.

If an NLO has been created in the DAOS store where will EV archive the attachment from?

DAOS documentation says when every reference to the attachement has been removed the NLO will be deleted. How does this work for the attachement being archived to EV?

Maybe I should put my questions back to EV support. The safest thing would be to test but not so easy in production and not so easy to create a test lab.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

EV fully supports DAOS stored items. I have worked with several customer using DAOS and EV and there is no incompatibility.

Essentially when a third party product such as EV or anti-virus call a particular noteid DAOS will serve the full recombined item back to that application which in this case is EV.

EV will then take the full item and break it apart for single instancing and store it with in EV. So EV will have the full item stored. It will then go back and replace the noteid (including the DAOS ticket) with an EV shortcut. From this point forward any retrieval of the EV archived item will only deal with EV and not DAOS.

This shortcut replacement then generates a delete notification to DAOS which will then remove the attachment reference in the DAOS database for that particular mailfile. The stored DAOS attachment will not be removed from DAOS until all references that attachment have been removed.

So it really does work in the same manner as an end user who does not have EV enabled. Imagine an end user without EV who decides to copy an item from their DAOS enabled mail.nsf to a local nsf. At that point the fully recombined item will be copied to the local NSF. If that user then turned around and deleted that item from their DAOS enabled mail file the DAOS nsf would be updated in the same manner.

It's good that you are going to Domino 8.5.1 as that is the recommendation I received from the DAOS developers at Lotus Sphere last year due to DAOS on Domino 8.5 being so buggy. Now that EV 10 supports Domino 8.5.2 it might be advantageous to consider this configuration as DAOS would be a little more mature.

The main thing I look for in troubleshooting DAOS enabled mail items is to verify DAOS is working properly for specific items. So if there is an issue archiving the entire content of an item I will try to forward that item to a non-DAOS enable mail file to ensure that the full item is in fact being forwarded.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

EV will work the same as Notes with DAOS.

For an attachment to be removed from DAOS all messages sharing that attachment would need to be archived and have the attachment removed by EV.

Hope that helps.

pclarke
Level 3

Thanks for that John. I think the only way I am going to understand is to carry out some testing real world. Currently EV leaves a STUB of the attachment in each users mailbox. This Stub is located in the EV Vault. I can see how DAOS and EV could work going forward with attachments that have not been archived but still unsure about attachments in the EV Vault.

Thanks. I believe Symantec may be releasing some technotes that should explain better so look forward ti that.

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

EV fully supports DAOS stored items. I have worked with several customer using DAOS and EV and there is no incompatibility.

Essentially when a third party product such as EV or anti-virus call a particular noteid DAOS will serve the full recombined item back to that application which in this case is EV.

EV will then take the full item and break it apart for single instancing and store it with in EV. So EV will have the full item stored. It will then go back and replace the noteid (including the DAOS ticket) with an EV shortcut. From this point forward any retrieval of the EV archived item will only deal with EV and not DAOS.

This shortcut replacement then generates a delete notification to DAOS which will then remove the attachment reference in the DAOS database for that particular mailfile. The stored DAOS attachment will not be removed from DAOS until all references that attachment have been removed.

So it really does work in the same manner as an end user who does not have EV enabled. Imagine an end user without EV who decides to copy an item from their DAOS enabled mail.nsf to a local nsf. At that point the fully recombined item will be copied to the local NSF. If that user then turned around and deleted that item from their DAOS enabled mail file the DAOS nsf would be updated in the same manner.

It's good that you are going to Domino 8.5.1 as that is the recommendation I received from the DAOS developers at Lotus Sphere last year due to DAOS on Domino 8.5 being so buggy. Now that EV 10 supports Domino 8.5.2 it might be advantageous to consider this configuration as DAOS would be a little more mature.

The main thing I look for in troubleshooting DAOS enabled mail items is to verify DAOS is working properly for specific items. So if there is an issue archiving the entire content of an item I will try to forward that item to a non-DAOS enable mail file to ensure that the full item is in fact being forwarded.

Hope this helps.

pclarke
Level 3

Jim, Thanks for that great insight into EV and DAOS exactly what I was looking for. Currenty our domino server is 8.5.1 FP5 just waiting for Symantec to release 9.0.3 as this will support Domino 8.5.2.

Thanks again