cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Exchange 2010/2013 coexistance

SKTAG
Level 4

We are currenlty in a 2010/2013 coexistance, with Enterprise Vault 10.4, hotfix 3

When I point DNS to the 2013 environement, the 2010 archive tasks fail.  As well, I've noticed that after adding the 2013 Exchagne servers as targets, only one database from each of the Exchange 2013 servers is listed (they are 3 active databases on each of the 2013 serve

Was reading another forum post that questioned whether the Enterprise Vault service account mailbox needs to be moved to the 2013 environment - does this need to happen (setevpermissions has been run on the 2013 servers)

Can anyone comment on their experience with 2010/2013 coexistance and their enterprise vault setup?  I do currently have a ticket open with support, but still not working.

10 REPLIES 10

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you explain this a bit more?

When I point DNS to the 2013 environement, the 2010 archive tasks fail.

SKTAG
Level 4

Yes.

Event 2256  The Archiving Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for Exhhange 2010 server' could not be started due to startup errors.

Event The Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for Exchange 2010 server' failed to log on to Exchange server Exchange 2010 using mailbox 'SMTP:EnterpriseVault@domain.com. Check that the mailbox has not been hidden, that the server is running and that the vault service account has sufficient permissions on the server.  (I've checked all that)

More interesting stuff. 

If DNS is pointed to the 2013 CAS', network trace shows Destination: NAME of 2010 mailbox server Source IP of EVAULT server  Epm: Response: ept_map: 0x16C9A0D6 - EP_S_NOT_REGISTERED

If I put in a hostfile to point to the IP of the 2010 CAS, everything is fine - and source is IP of 2010 CAS, IP of EVAULT server

It's like if I point DNS to the 2013 CAS/MB LB IP, it tries to go direclty to the 2010 mailbox server, whereas when DNS points to the 2010 CAS, it goes through the 2010 CAS (not to the mailbox server).

Should note - EVERYTHING else works when DNS points to 2013 CAS - jsut not Enterprise Vault.  I've run the deployment scanner against 2010 and 2013, it reports no problems

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if you found a way to make it work why can't you use that?

SKTAG
Level 4

It cannot be left this way - current state is to point the host file to the 2010 environment.

2013 can proxy to 2010, however, 2010 cannot proxy to 2013.  This will be an issues for users that migrate....

On top of that, seeing as how EVault is not picking up all of the 2013 databases, that won't work going forward

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

understood with the proxy.

i dont think what your seeing with the databases actually reflects what EV is "picking up" so you shouldn't have an issue there.

Sebastian_W_
Level 2

Hi,

exact the same problem here, except the version of EV, we`re on 11.0.1.

Which version of exchange2013 do you use? We`re on CU9, which ist actually not supported, so i think there is the issue in my case.

dw_md
Not applicable

I am seeing the same issue on our Exchange servers. Are you using the EV Service account to run the tasks for both users? My theory is that the EV Service account has a mailbox on the Exchange 2010 server. We have separate mailboxes setup for 2010 and 2013 archive, but we are using the same account to run both services. When AD is checked to see where the mailbox is for the EV SVC account, it returns the 2010 server. So regardless of which mailbox the EV SVC account tries to login to, it always gets redirected to Exchange 2010. Because the 2013 archive mailbox isn't there, it fails to login.

I haven't had a chance to test my theory by setting up a new "run as" account for the 2013 archive task, but here's why I think this is the issue. When I login to the Exchange 2013 archive account via OWA using the EV SVC account, it logs in, but I am presented with the 2010 interface and the mailbox appears empty, even though there is mail in it. If I login to the account that owns the mailbox, I get the 2013 interface and there is mail.

If I have time to test tomorrow I will reply with my results. If someone else on the thread gets to it before I do, please post your findings.

-dw

don_sanders
Level 3

Did anyone ever get this working?

Thorsten_Lai
Level 3

Hi @ all,

we run EV 11.0.1 CHF1 and Exchange 2010 and 2013 and gots Event ID 3460 and 2256 after Starting the Exchange 2013 few minutes later but has resolved this issue now.

The VSA mailbox has been moved to Exchange 2013 and the script was running successfully on Ex2013, but the VSA gots the error "Cannot expand the folder" if we tried to expand the folder structure in Outlook (Profile for VSA)

We list the permissions via Powershell and gots the following result:

Get-MailboxPermission systemmailbox -user VSA| fl
Creating a new session for implicit remoting of "Get-MailboxPermission" command...
WARNING: Commands that are available in the new remote session are different than those available when the implicit
remoting module was created.  Consider creating the module again by using the Export-PSSession cmdlet.

RunspaceId      : 44440d03-dffe-416e-ac19-3d35d0d82025
AccessRights    : {FullAccess}
Deny            : True
InheritanceType : All
User            : DOMAIN\VSA
Identity        : fqdn/EMEA/DE/site/Users/NPA/IT/systemmailbox
IsInherited     : False
IsValid         : True
ObjectState     : Unchanged

AccessRights    : {FullAccess, ReadPermission}
Deny            : False
IsInherited     : True

We was wondering about the "Deny: True" and removed that permissions with:

remove-MailboxPermission systemmailbox -user DOMAIN\VSA -AccessRights FullAccess -deny

Creating a new session for implicit remoting of "Remove-MailboxPermission" command...
WARNING: Commands that are available in the new remote session are different than those available when the implicit
remoting module was created.  Consider creating the module again by using the Export-PSSession cmdlet.

Confirm
Are you sure you want to perform this action?
Removing mailbox permission "systemmailbox" for user "DOMAIN\VSA" with access rights "'FullAccess'".
[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"): A

After that, we added the permissions again with "Automapping" !!!:

Add-MailboxPermission systemmailbox -user DOMAIN\VSA -AccessRights FullAccess -automapping $true

and checked the permissions again:

Get-MailboxPermission systemmailbox -user VSA| fl
Creating a new session for implicit remoting of "Get-MailboxPermission" command...

AccessRights    : {FullAccess}
IsInherited     : False

AccessRights    : {FullAccess, ReadPermission}
IsInherited     : True

After we reopend Outlook, we could expand the System Mailbox systemmailbox and the Exchange 2013 Task no longer failed.

regards
Thorsten

PRADiiP
Level 4

We had the similar issue and its resolved after installing the Outlook 2013 SP1(32 bit) on the EV Server