cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault FSA - Restore a folder when source filer is not available

Renaud_Touillet
Level 3

Hi all,

We have rundowned a filer and archived all its content in EV, but we are asked to restore a specific folder (with thousands of files and subfolders...) to a new folder on a new filer. As source filer isn't available anymore - but still registered in EV as a File Server Target with archiving disabled - it seems FSAutility isn't working. We tried the -t option

FSAUtility.exe" -t -s "\\original_filer\path..." -d "\\localhost\d$\tmp

but

Error: Invalid Server Name original_filer

where original_filer is the name registered in EV and localhost the EV server.

We were able to export the archive to a PST file from the VAC, but this is really not usable with thousands of files/folders.

Does someone knows - if possible - the process to export the content of a File System archive to a folder?

Many thanks.

Renaud

Infra: EV11.0.1 CHF3 on Windows 2012 R2 - Source filer was a NetApp 7mode 8.1.3 - archive are located on a NetApp 7mode array also in 8.1.3 with SnapLock enabled.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Renaud_Touillet
Level 3

Solution was to:

1. Create an entry in the HOST local file ,so original filer can be pinged:

IP_of_the_new_filer          original_filer

2. Use FSAUTILITY to restore the file to the destination:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have you seen this technote? https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH155416

someone had a similar issue last month: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/fsautility-invalid-file-server

Renaud_Touillet
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for your post. My issue is a little bit different: my source file server isn't present anymore...

Anyway it points me to a solution. I added the name of our old server in the local HOST file to point to our new file server (not archived in EV), and as this server has the same shares / structures it did the trick! I was able to restore my archive to a new folder :)

Many thanks.

Renaud

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

awesome. glad the info helped. can you mark the solution so others with the same question know which post helped you find the answer?

Renaud_Touillet
Level 3

Solution was to:

1. Create an entry in the HOST local file ,so original filer can be pinged:

IP_of_the_new_filer          original_filer

2. Use FSAUTILITY to restore the file to the destination: