cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault FSA task

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I have an EV11.0.1 environment thatis used for File System Archiving. It's a new deployment and has a large backlog of file to churn through. The task runs for several hours each night and I;ve been reviewing the logs over the last couple of weeks.

My understanding was that EV creates a checkpoint file so it can continue where it left off the following night, but I'm finding that this isn;t the case. If I import the all FSA reports into Excel (one report per worksheet) and the select a file from the first day's report I can successfully find the same file has been processed on another day (eg the same file appears in more several reports and some files are evident in every report since the FSA task has been enabled.

If EV has yet to churn through the entire volume (it's multiple TB's in size) how can the same file be processed every day? Is there perhaps something wrong with the checkpoint file?

Or am I perhaps misunderstanding the reports?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Rvarghese
Level 3

You can check the safety copy setting, it can be that the file is being archived and the placeholder is being created on the next day. It can also be that the placeholders are being recalled and the task is recreating them when it starts the next day.

you can check the report and see what it says.

CadenL

Interesting thought but shouldn't the task just continue to walk the directory structure until all the folders have the been processed rather than repeat the folders its already processed simply becase some fo the items have been recalled?

CadenL

Just to clarfy what I think I'm seeing..... and this is over simplified somewhat:

Say the volume has 10,000 foolders - The first archiving run processes folder 1 through to 1,000 and archives the files that meet thearchiving criteria. It appears to create the checkpoint file all ok. On the next night I woud expect this to then process folders 1001 through to say folder 2,000, but it appears to start again at folder 1 and maybe reach a little further  - say to folder 1010. This equates to about <100Mb of successfully archived items only instead of >100GB of archived data it did on the first night when it started freash on the volume.

Is there anything on the Checkpoint file I can look at to help troubleshoot this? I has lots of detail but doesn't mean much to me other than a long list of folder and file names.... should I be comparing the EVcheckpoint files created each night to confirm it's repeating the same folders over and over again?

thanks