cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault File System and Sharepoint Archiving

GauravAditya
Level 5
Scenario: -
We implemented EV for Exchange Archiving and are pretty happy with it so far. We have a File Server for which the backup window is huge and hence we are thinking of implementing EV for FS also.
Ultimately, we have also thought of migrating the files to the sharepoint server.

I have a few queries in this regard: -
1. What should i perform first? 
a. Migration to Sharepoint and Archive sharepoint; or
b. Archive File Server first and then migration
2. In the second scenario, i have a couple of more questions: - 
a. Once we have archived the File server, is there a procedure to migrate the shortcuts to sharepoint.? If yes, HOW?
b. Do I need to have Licenses for both FS and SPS in this case?

Please HELP !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I would go with the migration to sharepoint and then archive sharepoint. I'm not aware of a solution to transfer shortcuts from FSA to Sharepoint Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

MichelZ
Level 6
I would go with the migration to sharepoint and then archive sharepoint. I'm not aware of a solution to transfer shortcuts from FSA to Sharepoint Cheers Michel

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Just to vouche for MichelZ and there is no tool to migrate FSA placeholders to SPS.

--wayne

GauravAditya
Level 5
I agree with you and morevover, we are planning to use a 3rd party tool to migrate the server which will keep the security settings of the files intact.

But the management is not agreeing to this and is not willing to migrate first. They are more willing to reduce the backup window for the file server and then ones the UAT is complete, will migrate...

It will be EV 8.0

I also heard that there are internal tools in EV that can make a FS Shortcut be migrated / pointed to an SPS...

Please advise as your caluable inputs will make our lives a lot simpler...

Thanks in advance
Gauravaditya

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
There are no internal tools in EV that can point FSA shortcuts to SPS - where did you hear this that there was?

As the above, migrate to SPS, then archive from there.

GauravAditya
Level 5
 Hello All,

Thanks a lot for you valuable time that you spared for to rely / post to this thread...

I just have this last query. 

What if we go by the file server archiving first and then later decide to migrate to SPS?

What is it that we need to be prepare with or what are the tasks to be performed?

Again, thanks in advance...

Gauravaditya

MichelZ
Level 6
You would need to un-archive (recall) the files you want to archive into sharepoint. Cheers

GauravAditya
Level 5
Hello All,

And what is the procedure to recall and do we have any option like: -

a. Leave a copy on the archive
b. Delete the copy from Archive
c. Keep on both the server and the archive...

Thanks and Regards,

Gauravaditya

MichelZ
Level 6
a) and c) will work, respectively are the same. b) won't work, as delete on recall is no longer supported for EV8, and is depreciated in 2007. You can recall the files either by FSAUtility (see Utilities.pdf Documentation), or by using an "old" virusscanner which recalls the files, or by using file copy, which recalls the files. Cheers

GauravAditya
Level 5
 So, does it mean that the space will be occupied in the storage until we delete that archive manually / the Vault completely?

MichelZ
Level 6
Yes, I think so

arnaud_cloart
Not applicable
Hi,

I have some directory but now I want ti un-archive one complete directory and all subdirectories with only one command, because I have plenty of subdirectories in my principal directory, how to do.

thanks!

GauravAditya
Level 5
Please read the thread above by MichelZ: -

"You can recall the files either by FSAUtility (see Utilities.pdf Documentation), or by using an "old" virusscanner which recalls the files, or by using file copy, which recalls the files"

I would also recommend if you could start another forum for this.

Regards,

GauravAditya