cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault - Items Awaiting Backup

SYM-AJ
Level 5

I have an EV site with two EV servers (one for Journaling archive and one for Exchange mailbox archive), and am just about to upgrade from EV8 to EV9. I also have a third for DA - not discussed herein.

I use REMOVE SAFETY COPIES IMMEDIATELY AFTER ARCHIVE for both journal and mailbox.  I do not see any issue here as all the storage is mirorred and replicated offsite.  Because of this setting I do not see any pending items via the Outlook Clients.

As I perform all the pre-upgrade checks I notice that there are 'lots' of items awaiting backup in both the Journal and Mailbox stores.  Now the method I use to backup these stores is using a mirror/replication within the NetApp environment, so they are not actually backed up (and therefore don't get the archive bit reset).  The EV databases are backed up daily, so these will be marked as such (however the logs are not backed up).

Databases backed up daily are: EnterpriseVaultDirectory, EnterpriseVaultFSAReporting, EnterpriseVaultMonitorng, EVBADiscovery, EVConfiguration, EVFSAStore, EVJournalStore, EVMailboxStore, EVVSGDEFAULTUPGRADEGROUP_1_1.

The recovery models are:

EnterpriseVaultDirectory - simple

EnterpriseVaultFSAReporting - full

EnterpriseVaultMonitorng - full 

EVBADiscovery - full

EVConfiguration - full

EVFSAStore - full

EVJournalStore - simple

EVMailboxStore - simple

EVVSGDEFAULTUPGRADEGROUP_1_1 - simple

I followed the instructions as to how to set the partitions to check for a trigger file every 60 minutes - and have done this for ALL the partitions (both closed and active and awaiting use - rolling partitions in use).  I have inserted the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger file in the root of each of the partition directories - and after a restart of the Storage service these have all been accessed and renamed to .old.

However - after all this I still have 6,058,517 items awaiting backup in my Journal Store and 3,299,095 items awaiting backup in my Mailbox Store.

What am I missing here ?  I want to get this sorted prior to the EV9 upgrade which is imminent.

AJ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would guess its just time ;) With that amount of data it will take a very long time.

If it renames the .txt to .old, then it is still processing.  Check out dtrace, SQL or usage.asp see if they decreasing.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would guess its just time ;) With that amount of data it will take a very long time.

If it renames the .txt to .old, then it is still processing.  Check out dtrace, SQL or usage.asp see if they decreasing.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

yes it will take several hours indeed before you start to see some movement(it's just the way the SQL queries we do work).  As wayne says the fact that the file gets renameed shows it's going to work.  You can keep an eye on the backup tab on the property tab and that should update as post processing occurs.

Mike