cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Licensing

elroy_lo
Level 4

Dear Sir,

I would like to clarify the licensing of the enterprise vault. Is there any information can be shared? I am confused that if I am going to setup archive for exchange, is there any other license such as ediscovery license I need to buy?

Thanks

best Regards,

Elroy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Elroy,

For mailbox archiving, you need a license per active USER.

For Functional mailboxes, groupmailboxes, roommailboxes, and mailboxes of Leavers (that are no longer active), you do not need a license. Your best count is the amount of FTE's in your environment. If you have a user that has a personal mailbox AND a groupmailbox, that is 1 license.

If you also want to do Journal Archiving (using Exchange to journal the messages to a journal mailbox, which gets archived by the Journal Archiving task), you need the Journal Archiving (E-discovery) license. You need a license for every mailbox that is being journaled in Exchange. this includes functional, group etc. If you journal all mailboxes, then the license count is all mailboxes on the Exchange server(s)

If you have a requirement to be able to search and deliver information from the archives, you need E-discovery. E-discovery is included in the Journal Archiving license, but might not be available seperately, not sure...

You can best work with either a partner, or the Symantec Customer Service licensing team. They should be able to assist in determining exactly what license you need, and what the license count should be.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA

Hello Elroy,

For mailbox archiving, you need a license per active USER.

For Functional mailboxes, groupmailboxes, roommailboxes, and mailboxes of Leavers (that are no longer active), you do not need a license. Your best count is the amount of FTE's in your environment. If you have a user that has a personal mailbox AND a groupmailbox, that is 1 license.

If you also want to do Journal Archiving (using Exchange to journal the messages to a journal mailbox, which gets archived by the Journal Archiving task), you need the Journal Archiving (E-discovery) license. You need a license for every mailbox that is being journaled in Exchange. this includes functional, group etc. If you journal all mailboxes, then the license count is all mailboxes on the Exchange server(s)

If you have a requirement to be able to search and deliver information from the archives, you need E-discovery. E-discovery is included in the Journal Archiving license, but might not be available seperately, not sure...

You can best work with either a partner, or the Symantec Customer Service licensing team. They should be able to assist in determining exactly what license you need, and what the license count should be.

Regards. Gertjan

TonySterling

Elroy,

As Gertjan has said, you should be speaking with your Symantec Account Manager or the Symantec Partner you are working with.  They will be able to clarify what you need to purchase.

Regards,

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if you're in the US, send me a private message and i can help you work out all your EV licensing questions.

elroy_lo
Level 4

Dear sir,

Sorry that I am not in US. Is there any other way I can get the EV licensing question? Thanks

Best Regards,

Elroy

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Gertjan did a pretty good job explaining the basics. For anything further you really need to work with your local partner. Hope you have a happy new year.

elroy_lo
Level 4

Thanks all of you in advance. Does that mean if I only buy the mailbox archiving license only, I cannot do any search operation from archives?

Thanks again

Best Regards,

Elroy

GertjanA

Hello elroy,

As an EV admin, you can give yourself rights to all archives, and perform a search. This is however per archive.

You probably have more questions, and as Andrew said, you really should talk to a partner on that.

Regards. Gertjan