cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Migration - Age Query

karmakoma
Level 5

Hello,

I'm setting up new Enteprise Vault 11 environment. Our existing EV 10 vaults will be migrated to this new environment using a third party tool.

This new environment will have a two tiered vault store solution where files and email will be put in collections and migrated to secondary storage.

I'm trying to understand the file and email age which will be used to determine when it is migrated to secondary storage. Especially in regards to the files and emails migrating from the vault stores of the existing EV 10 environment.

Our primary storage has limited capacity so it is necessary to migrate to secondary storage.

Thanks for your assistance.

D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

karmakoma
Level 5

Logged a call with support. This was their response.

For Data (collection files)Migration to secondary storage, Age is determined on creation-date/modified-date of cab file. Default Age is 1 year.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

are you sure it makes sense to use collections and storage migrations? instead, can you present your secondary storage to your EV servers and configure them as vault store partitions?

also, i'm curious to know what is driving you to migrate data from EV 10 to EV 11 using a 3rd party tool?

karmakoma
Level 5

Recommendations from EMC is to not present Data Domain as a primary storage due to performance issues. They also recommend using collections to reduce the number of individual files on the Data Domain.

We wanted to use Data Domain as our primary storage but based on EMC recommendations and our own performance issues when doing this previously we're going to follow best practice.

I did not explain the full story. This is a domain migration also.

Do you know what file age will be used to determine when a file should be migrated to secondary storage? Modified time, time of archiving, ??

Thanks.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It depends on the Following setting 

On the Site -> Rightclick -> Properties -> Storage Expiry

Base expiry on:
Modified date
Archived date

Base Expiry on:

• Modified date. Items in archives expire at the end of the Retention Period.When you select Modified date, the start of the Retention Period is calculated as follows:

For mail messages, this is the time since the message was received.

For documents, it is the time since the document was last modified.

• Archived date. Items in archives expire at the end of the Retention Period. When you select Archived date, the start of the Retention Period is the date the items were archived. This setting is useful if you import old items from other mail systems. If the items are very old and deleted items expire on sent/received date, the items could expire immediately.

Hope this Helps

AndrewB

i dont think that applies to his scenario.

AndrewB

seems like a waste to use your DD for this but i won't get into that.

a third party migration tool isnt always necessary for a domain migration. we can discuss further if you care to elaborate on your specific requirements.

as far as secondary storage is concerned, it requires cabbing. cabbing (aka collections) will deem files eligible for collections based on X amount of time after they were archived. it also requires the files to have been backed up so you cant set it to less frequent than your backups. secondary migration then has its own age setting for files to be migrated and is based on the last modified time.

karmakoma
Level 5

We have explored the possibilities and we chose the third party archive vault migration tool for a number of reasons:

1. Shorcut recreation

2. Existing environment has had several upgrades from 7.5 so this gives us a clean new EV environment

3. Pick and choose which archives to migrate

4. Visibility and logging during process

Back to my question at hand. The last modified time uses the same calculations as RahulG has mentioned in his reply?

karmakoma
Level 5

Logged a call with support. This was their response.

For Data (collection files)Migration to secondary storage, Age is determined on creation-date/modified-date of cab file. Default Age is 1 year.

AndrewB

sorry i missed your post asking if i'm sure about what i told you but the answer you got is the same as what i told you the other day. maybe you didnt see when i commented that the expiry settings didnt apply to your question.