Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault - Move Archive to new vault store

AnKirby
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

I have taken over the Enterprise Vault product line from a colleague of mine and am getting back into the flow of it, slowly.

I have been asked to run an archive move for a customer to split the capacity, and more importantly the indexes to a new vault store.

We only have one exchange 2007 server at the moment (although will shortly migrate to 2010 hence the new VS).

My question this.  Once I have run the archive move for all the mailboxes starting with Z, for example, where will the next archive run write to.  Will it continue to follow settings in the task, or will it recognise that the Archive has moved to the new vault store.

Thanks as always.

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Andy,

When you said a failover, are you referring to an Exchange DAG or an Enterprise Vault cluster? If you are talking about an Exchange DAG, you should have an archiving task for each server in the DAG. If you have a DAG failover, from Exch1 to Exch2, the archiving task for Exch2 would detect the failover and would add the Exchange DBs under the targets tab.

Then, when the task runs, it will read the settings from the Directory database and would send the archived data to the Enterprise Vault server (using MSMQ) that owns the storage service for VS2.

Now, for an Enterprise Vault cluster, the storage should be a high availabilty resource, so a failover shouldn't be an issue.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Ankirby,

Once you move the archive successfully from one Vault Store to another, the move archive task will close the old archive and all the new archiving will be performed in the new Vault Store. Take a look at this technote for more details:

Enterprise Vault Move Archive Feature Overview
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129236

To answer to your question: Yes, the achiving task will recognise that the archive is located in the new Vault Store.

I hope this helps.

AnKirby
Level 4

Thanks Gabe

I was hoping this was the case but was not sure how the settings for the default vault store would effect where the continued archive would write to.  If it is able to override the setting then this is great, and I won;t need to create new provisioning groups.

Moving on from this when we have Exchange 2010 with 4 mailbox servers I intend to have 2 EV servers archiving 2 MB servers each.  The concern here is that if there is a failover where is the data written too.  Will the tasks force the data to vault store assigned to the EV server or does it somehow move the data to EV server (and VS2)

Thanks

Andy

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Andy,

When you said a failover, are you referring to an Exchange DAG or an Enterprise Vault cluster? If you are talking about an Exchange DAG, you should have an archiving task for each server in the DAG. If you have a DAG failover, from Exch1 to Exch2, the archiving task for Exch2 would detect the failover and would add the Exchange DBs under the targets tab.

Then, when the task runs, it will read the settings from the Directory database and would send the archived data to the Enterprise Vault server (using MSMQ) that owns the storage service for VS2.

Now, for an Enterprise Vault cluster, the storage should be a high availabilty resource, so a failover shouldn't be an issue.

I hope this helps.

AnKirby
Level 4

That is exactly what I meant thank you.

I will let the customer know that Enterprise Vault will sort out the Vault Store in the back end and he doesn;t need to worry.

Cheers

Andy

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Glad to help !!