cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault - Move Archives - Possible to skip verification?

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Hi, we have the need to move a major number of archives from one EV site to another. We noticed that Step 5 of 5 ("Verifying moved items") takes most of the time, actually it takes much longer than the actual copying.

We have the collector already set to 'only collect files older than 1 year', still that verifying step takes much too long. Both servers and the intermediate network and the database servers seem to have low utilization (regarding CPU, disk, etc.).

So, two questions:

A) Is there anything I could do to speed up the verify process? I already recreated database indexes but this did not really help.

B) Is there an option to skip verification? Or at least to postpone it until migration of the remaining archives is done (so that it first copies ALL archives and THEN verifies all archives)? I was already thinking of a database trigger like 'when state is updated to "step 4 done" then stop the job' or something ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Stephan,

I moved 1900 archives from site A to site B, approximately 19.000.000 items and about 5 TB worth of data. That took 11 months....

There is no way to prevent the verification to be skipped unfortunately. I assume (as you do not mention that) you do skip the backup check.

Depending on the amount of archives to be moved, and their size, you might be better of either exporting the archives to PST's, copying these accross, then import them into the new archives, or look for a 3rd party product. Those being either Quadrotech's Archiveshuttle (my preference), or TransVault, or Archive360.

I tried 'skipping verification until all are copied', but that is not a good idea. The verification really should be done after the archive has been moved. I did run into an issue with 'pausing' the move to wait for verification, but forgot what it was. I decided to just 'let it run'. I did use the usage report from the source to first move the smallest archives, and then the large ones were done last. That is basically a set and forget action. check every day on the progress, and then one day all were done. Small archives (less than 1000 items) I did about 100 in a job, larger ones (<50000) I did about 25, very large ones (over 100.000 items in them) I did only 10.

This to prevent choking the network.. I migrate 24/7, except obvioulsy when the source went into backup mode.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Stephan,

I moved 1900 archives from site A to site B, approximately 19.000.000 items and about 5 TB worth of data. That took 11 months....

There is no way to prevent the verification to be skipped unfortunately. I assume (as you do not mention that) you do skip the backup check.

Depending on the amount of archives to be moved, and their size, you might be better of either exporting the archives to PST's, copying these accross, then import them into the new archives, or look for a 3rd party product. Those being either Quadrotech's Archiveshuttle (my preference), or TransVault, or Archive360.

I tried 'skipping verification until all are copied', but that is not a good idea. The verification really should be done after the archive has been moved. I did run into an issue with 'pausing' the move to wait for verification, but forgot what it was. I decided to just 'let it run'. I did use the usage report from the source to first move the smallest archives, and then the large ones were done last. That is basically a set and forget action. check every day on the progress, and then one day all were done. Small archives (less than 1000 items) I did about 100 in a job, larger ones (<50000) I did about 25, very large ones (over 100.000 items in them) I did only 10.

This to prevent choking the network.. I migrate 24/7, except obvioulsy when the source went into backup mode.

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i would agree with Gertjan's nice detailed writeup and also wouldn't recommend to skip verification. if you have a lot of data to move, migration tools are the way to go. i'm sure Gertjan did not love spending 11 months on a project which should have been done in 1 or 2.

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Thanks for your comments.

We're talking of 30 TB of data, and doing the move over 5 years is not an option ;)

Exporting to PSTs sounds interesting, but I think it would not update the shortcuts in the source mailboxes.

I think I will investigate 3rd party products ...

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

I am aware that skipping verification is not recommended, yet I found a way to postpone it.

I modified the 'wait for backup' option again, so that all archives are stuck the 'Waiting for destination backup' step before verification. I will create a script that stops the Task Controller service, sets the status for all these jobs to 'Stopped' via SQL and then starts the Task Controller service again. The script will run as a pre-script before backup.

This way, all the archives will be copied first, and verification will not block progress.